Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious! >

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

Old 01-18-2015, 06:42 AM

thank you, Evie and Connie, just what I needed to know ! Couple of weeks ago I sorted thru a big box of scraps and put everything together by size and it really paid off... took out the box of 4 inch squares and there were more than 24 lights and 24 medium lights ... did not have to mess up the other sorted stuff, a first for me!

I am thinking of trying sewing two 4 inch charms together and centering the seam on the companion ruler and see if I can figure the appropriate markings for 7 1/4 base and 3 3/4 height....mostly because those bias edges are going to be 'squirrely' for me. thanks to the hints here, this time I will use starch.

If this works I could sew all together alternating light stack and med. light stack and then when I cut with the companion ruler they will all be different...the actual inspiration for this came from how Judy had us cut the 2 1/2 blocks from strips in Mystery Train #7........now I need coffee.

Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 01-18-2015 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by tron80 View Post
Hi gals, I am a european metric sistem mind so, can I cut 4" charms make the hst, sew them and when we'll have more clues trim to size?
Better safe than sorry and with triangles too small.
I cut my squares at 4" since I always tend to make my HSTs too small if I use 3-7/8. I know we are not making HSTs but it seems that the principle is still the same.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I cut my squares at 4" since I always tend to make my HSTs too small if I use 3-7/8. I know we are not making HSTs but it seems that the principle is still the same.
Thank you all I know they are not HsT but I'll do as Belfrybat!
Old 01-18-2015, 07:33 AM

it works, and any 45 degree ruler will work you just need to use transparent (and washable) marker for a fine point line across, at 7 1/4 and then a line from the ruler corner to the midpoint of the 7 1/4 (3 5/8). Be sure to test first before doing multiples. Marta, I hope you can convert the measurements, maybe Electric Quilt of the future will have all conversions.

I am so excited..... now I better stop and have coffee.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:46 AM

I haven't jumped on board, as I didn't have a clue what the train ride was about.. I am totally upset, as I really love to travel. I can't start now, as I have to get two quilts finished before.. It must be the OCD thing in me.. Could somebody think of reminding me when the next ride will be leaving the station. I especially love to work with scraps.. As for the food in the dining car, hope there is a treadmill not to far, or a nice comfortable sleep to sleep off the carbs..
Old 01-18-2015, 08:05 AM

actually we have a full workout room, the car directly behind the engine.....giggle as far from the wine cellar as possible
Old 01-18-2015, 08:11 AM

at least half the people on this train have other projects going on ... I know this for fact !

So follow along Barri, it is ok, and you will be ready for the rides of the future ( Judy already said #10 will be scrappy, and she always has tips on how to make each quilt scrappy, our Judy is a wizard, she is)
Old 01-18-2015, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by meganc731 View Post
Oh my gosh Vicki!!! Yes it's the blue fabric, it's like iridescent puffy lines. That is so nice! I didn't think I'd have any chance of finding more, I've scoured the internet. I need four 5 inch squares all together or I can work with scraps and just cut the triangles. That would be amazing if you have enough. Thank you thank you thank you!
PM"d you...not a problem. Glad I could help you out! Monday is holiday, so will mail it out on Tues.

Last edited by VickiM; 01-18-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the advise.. It really is easy so far. I like working on two quilts at once, and should be within the next few weeks, and have a baby quilt to make so can take on a challenge.
Yes, Judy does explain very well.
I might have to figure out what to bring onboard for snacking, more on a low glycemic index for those that are on a low carb diet.
Socks would have to join us, as he loves to travel, and is a mommas boy.. He also is great as a scrap magnet to clean the floors of thread, and crumbs.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:27 AM

Dotdotcom:I am putting 2 squares together, one med, one light, wrong sides out. Stitching down 2 opposite sides, then cutting thru the middle on the diagonal. It does give 2 matching HSTs . I am hitting it w spray starch before cutting. Seems to work ok. sorry, I messed up the quote..

But what if Judy wants all the med/lights on one side?? I wish I knew 'cause the way you're doing it would be very easy!

Last edited by Honchey; 01-18-2015 at 08:39 AM.