Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"New" quilt looks old >

"New" quilt looks old

"New" quilt looks old

Old 05-27-2011, 04:14 AM

That is a great answer to the problem. That way the new mother won't have to "wash" the quilt before using it with her precious newborn. I like that solution very much!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:53 AM

My sister's best friend had just gotten pregnant after losing a baby the year before (she did have a 12 yr.old daughter,also). We were so excited, I offered to surprise her with a hand knitted blanket. So the older daughter would not feel left out, I made one for her and for the baby- a natural bonding gift. When finished, I sent them to my sister(I live 5 hours away)to bring to the shower. Several months later, I asked how the mom & teenager had responded to the matching gifts. My sister,who does no crafts, said "Well,I know how sensitive babies are, so I washed both blankets on hot. They shrank so much, I could only give the big one to the baby." What did she do with the original baby sized blanket? She gave it to her chihuaua.(Sigh!) She couldn't understand my silence.
It is always a good idea to send a note on care with a handmade gift!
Old 05-27-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
What kind of batting did you use? If it was anything other than poly you will not be able to press the puckers out because your batting shrunk and gave the well used look to your washed quilt. Additionally 100% cotton thread also has a bit of shrinkage causing these small wrinkles along your quilting stitches. Personally I like this look. Give the quilt with all the love you intended. My view is it is better to give the quilt washed so any changes in appearance are already there and the intended recipient does not think they "ruined" it or did something wrong after their first washing.
Maybe they will use it instead of putting it on a shelf because it looks like a quilt to use and not save. Give it anyway because no one will know but you.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:19 AM

I would just explain I prewash it so it would be much softer and smell better than just fabric smell.I always prewash my quilts and use muslin to make them much softer.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

I always wash my quilts before giving them away and tell the receiver it is now ready to snuggle up with:-)
I love the old look.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:03 AM

This is the look I work for!! I don't prewash my fabrics or batting. When I finish quilting and binding, then I wash it in the machine, warm water, and dry in the dryer, medium heat. I love the puffy look!!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:19 AM

Noooooooooo ... you have not ruined your quilt. I love the look after they are washed ... soft, cuddly, just begging to be loved!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
I would give the quilt with a little note attached. It could say, "I just made this little quilt especially for your little one and I've pre-washed it to remove any chemicals used in the fabric manufacture process."
Good idea! I actually LOVE the vintage look of a quilt after you have washed it!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
What is the quality of fabric you used? There is an on going discussion about LQS/name brand fabric vs "other" less expensive fabric. If you used the less expensive fabric then that could be the cause! And is a good testimonial to using LQS or name brand fabric!
I have never had any different result with LQS fabric unless I bought really cheap-o fabric that I really meant to use to line a bulletin board. Part of the charm of a quilt is the patina of age that comes with washing. I buy lots of stuff at LQS, but don't think there is any magic about the fabric because it came from there. It will shrink some because it is cotton.

As a matter of fact, if you want to avoid any shrinkage, use a 65% cotton, 35% poly blend and you will get a wrinkle free and virtually shrink free product. And, it will feel wonderful to boot. froggyintexas
Old 05-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bigsister63
What is the quality of fabric you used? There is an on going discussion about LQS/name brand fabric vs "other" less expensive fabric. If you used the less expensive fabric then that could be the cause! And is a good testimonial to using LQS or name brand fabric!
:hunf: :hunf: :hunf:

I have had major shrinkage from LQS fabric - a Michael Miller black, for one - it shrank over two inches in width!