Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Hemming Georgette >

Help! Hemming Georgette

Help! Hemming Georgette

Old 07-04-2011, 07:52 AM

I have used 1/8" ribbon the same color and stitched it then turn that uover twice for hem and it gives it more manageability.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:26 AM

If your fabric is washable then be sure to wash it FIRST before you cut anything. The georgette or the lining may shrink in different amounts. Try it on again after washing and then decide where or if it needs cutting off. Stitch 1/4 inch longer than you think you need then cut below the stitching line. The stitching will give you some stabilization as you do the hemming. Practice on the part that you have cut off until you are comfortable as possible then damn the torpedos, full speed ahead. Good luck and best wishes to the happy couple.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:37 AM

What about putting a line of No Fray in a line just above where you are going to cut, let it dry and then cut the excess off? If you use a roll hem, the No Fray will be inside the hem and unseen and not felt - I don't know how flexible it is when it dries.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:59 PM

Try them on first and make sure you have someone mrk the hem when you bend, move, etc.to get an accurrate hem. Someone said hemming ft and this is appropriate with good results. You want a rolled eded hem, not too wide.
Have fun at the event.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:55 PM

If you have a serger, the easiest and neatest way I have found is to cut the garment 1/4 inch longer than you need. Then serge the edge with the right side of the fabric facing up. Turn the 1/4 inche to the inside and press. Then stitch on the right side as close to the edge as you can. I have a ready made garment on which this was done and I find it useful on any crisp fabric. Nancy Zieman also has a method of sewing a straight stitch 1/4 inch from edge ( then turn it up and stitch 1/8 inch from edge. Trim very carefully the raw edge. Then turn it up 1/8 inch and stitch again very close to the edge.) You would have to cut off the garment at 3/8 inche below where you need it. The sheer shirt she showed looked really nic.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:56 PM

I would definatly use matching silk thread,It is very fine and doesn't show very much.

d.swinslw
Old 07-04-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by blackberryhill1
I am mostly a lurker but now I need some advice. I recently purchased an evening pants outfit to wear to a wedding next weekend. The pants are 4 inches too long. Although I am an expereinced sewer, I have never sewn on georgette so am very apprehensive about cutting and hemming the pants. Are there tricks I should know about georgette? I think it might ravel - if so what to do etc. Should I hand stich the hem or can I machine stitch it? etc.
Thank you for any advice you can give me.
I made dresses for a chorus at the university out of georgette and would advise finishing the raw edge.I used a serger and then turned them up 1/4 inch and stitched by machine.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by mar32428
Originally Posted by blackberryhill1
I am mostly a lurker but now I need some advice. I recently purchased an evening pants outfit to wear to a wedding next weekend. The pants are 4 inches too long. Although I am an expereinced sewer, I have never sewn on georgette so am very apprehensive about cutting and hemming the pants. Are there tricks I should know about georgette? I think it might ravel - if so what to do etc. Should I hand stich the hem or can I machine stitch it? etc.
Thank you for any advice you can give me.
I used to do wedding garments. I found the best way is to stitch a1/4" seam with a little longer stitch. Then press the first 1/4" up at the thread line. Next, press that 1/4" up again and hand stitch catching the threads from your seam.

I have done machine hemming when there is lots of material or very little time but expeience has shown me that hand hemming is much prettier and you don't have that much to hem.
I agree with Mar32428, that's how I"ve done it before and the results are professional looking.
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 07-05-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
You might try stabilizing the edge with fray-check or a light interfacing before working with it.
I have found that Fray Check leaves a wet look on georgette & similar fabrics. I suggest to use Fray Block, it's alittle pricer, but does better. I also use tissue paper between fabrics to keep it from slipping when machine sewing.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:36 PM

I personally have altered over a hundred formals and wedding gowns and can certainly understand your concerns. With Georgette I have always used my serger on the raw edge after measuring for the hem length. Then turned under 1/4" and used a loose stitch all the way around. Then turned it up once again to hide this with a 1/2" hem, did this on all the hems until I got my serger. Now I simply trim off the excess, serge the edge, fold up the hem to the length I want, press it well and either use the roll hem foot or hand stitch. In a pinch I've even used fabric glue in a pinch but don't really recommend it for georgette - It leaves a mark on the fabric that in some colors is really noticable. There is also something called steam a seam but it will melt the fabric - So don't use this stuff. I learned this the hard way. Ugh!