Houston quilt festival

Old 07-20-2011, 06:50 AM

I'll also be attending along with other members from my quilters guild 9 in all Its our first time . We plan on going a few days early and spending some time in San Antonio, then join our tour to quilt show, back home Nov 7th . Noella
Old 07-20-2011, 06:51 AM

I'll also be attending along with other members from my quilters guild 9 in all Its our first time . We plan on going a few days early and spending some time in San Antonio, then join our tour to quilt show, back home Nov 7th . Noella Bermuda
Old 07-20-2011, 07:48 AM

The Houston show is fabulous. However, they no longer allow rolling carts IN the show, as they trip people, but bring an extra piece of luggage if you think you will be buying a lot. I've gone several years but the walking will kill you. My friend and I usually start at one end and take periodic breaks in the eating area. There are very few chairs available for patrons. But on the plus side, there are lots of great vendors and it's very well organized by theme, so if you're into art quilts, you will see them all in one area. If you have other loves, they are well grouped. Have fun!!! See you there...
Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 AM

I am going with a quilt shop in Wylie, Tx. Wil be the first time I have not driven to Houston. Sorry, but you cannot have rolling totes unless you have a doctor's permit. Have taken classes before, but not this time.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:21 AM

I skipped last year but going this year - just across town and no excuse to miss it - lots of walking and ohhing and ahhhhing!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:50 AM

I'm going for the first time this year. I live only about and hour and a half from Houston and my quilt guild is going by bus for one entire day. Yay...no driving or parking! I'm excited already.

Anita
Old 07-20-2011, 09:51 AM

Yes, I'm going and have a room at the Doubletree and a flight. I have not done my classes yet. I have to wait until next week we get paid! I'm always excited for this show beening going for many years and still LOVE IT!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Pegleg
Is anyone going to the Houston Quilt Festival in November? I received my class catalog Saturday. Wow are there a bunch to choose from. I have never been to this show and am really getting excited about the upcoming trip.
I have never been myself, but I have a niece who lives in Houston and she has wanted me to come visit. I have thought of going to see her when the Quilt show is going on. Does one need to get special tickets or what is the procedure exactly. I would be interested in knowing more about it. I have always wanted to go to this show. For those of you who are planning to go definitely, where could I get a copy of just which events and classes there will be? Please pm me with the info.Thanks for info.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
Originally Posted by Pegleg
Is anyone going to the Houston Quilt Festival in November? I received my class catalog Saturday. Wow are there a bunch to choose from. I have never been to this show and am really getting excited about the upcoming trip.
I have never been myself, but I have a niece who lives in Houston and she has wanted me to come visit. I have thought of going to see her when the Quilt show is going on. Does one need to get special tickets or what is the procedure exactly. I would be interested in knowing more about it. I have always wanted to go to this show. For those of you who are planning to go definitely, where could I get a copy of just which events and classes there will be? Please pm me with the info.Thanks for info.
Go to the Internation Quilt Festival website: www.quilts.com.
It will have all the information you need, including admission prices, classes, supply lists, etc.

I live in Houston and so get to go every year. I have had some great classes and some not so great but it is a wonderful opportunity to meet people from everywhere and get to take classes from well-known peope in the quilting field. The quilt exhibits are unbelieveable! Lots of free demonstrations each day on the main floor of the convention center and the vendors are the greatest. Hope you have lots and lots of fun.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by PattyH
I'll be there, but I only live an hour away. FYI, be careful when you choose your classes. Some are awesome, but some are a total waste of money! If you want to sew, be sure that it is included in the class. Some classes are demo only or just seeing the method and cutting fabric. One year we spent $90 on a dyeing class that a kindergardner could have done.
I'll second that !! I've taken some very good classes over the years, and a few REALLY BAD ones !