Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cathedral Windows ? >

Cathedral Windows ?

Cathedral Windows ?

Old 09-09-2011, 05:13 AM

i made a cathedral window quilt and it took me several years to do it. i did mine the size that was used for potholders and used all colors for windows. i had some antique fabric so used that. i think i used like 60 yards of muslin in mine before i finished. my muslin wasn't very wide. at the time, they didn't sell the real wide muslin.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:24 AM

That's what I carry......and I call it my "10 yr project".
Old 09-09-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by malfromcessnock
Thanks Kim, I'll look at it again. But I thought she finished the tutorial with that image and there was no other page. I may have missed something.
But the quilt Dena789 posted looks so much nicer. Sort of like a cover of lovely r.
Yes, I think that was the final image, but it was an incomplete project. Notce the pins are still in it. A complete one definitely is nicer and I think I'm going to try to do mine like Denas.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by SandySews
That's what I carry......and I call it my "10 yr project".
Lol. It just may take that long!! I'm going to TRY to make it for MY king sized bed, and I want fabrics that all mean something. From a project I've done, or representing something meaningful etc.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:29 AM

One really nice thing about CW is that you can make any size project easily. I started out making the first 16 unit square thinking I would stop at a pillow top (like the wine colored one in my previous pictures). I was almost done that when someone asked me to show them how to do it, so I made another 16 unit square. I thought it would be easy to turn it into a table runner at that point. Then, I was asked to teach it in a class... so it just kept growing. Mine is now about a lap size top but, the really cool thing is, if I decide to make it larger, I can just start adding on to it again!

My base units each were cut at 8.5 inches with 1/4 inch seams so each 16-patch section would finish at 16 inches.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:38 AM

~Dena789, don't go going to any trouble only on my behalf. I'm sure someone else will post something sooner of later. A Canadian lady eh? Love to go there - always had a "thing" for Canada and New Zealand but never traveled out of Australia and it doesn't look like I will be anytime soon either.
I spent a little time this morning trying to find my instructions but haven't located them yet. I'll look more on the weekend as I have another commitment this afternoon and evening. It may be just as easy for me to re-write something as to find it. It could have gotten packed away in preparation for a house sale.

I have always wanted to visit Australia too (amongst other places) but seems that may not happen any time soon for me either.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dena789
My base units each were cut at 8.5 inches with 1/4 inch seams so each 16-patch section would finish at 16 inches.
So how does that work Dena? Do they each finish at about 4 square inches?
Old 09-09-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44
Dena789 - I've compared the images of the two quilts; yours and the one in the tut Kim posted the url for.

You have treated the "windows" differently to the tut and I like your's much more. Hers appears to have solid "centres" (Australian spelling).

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1116/...7d044b9f_o.jpg[/img]

So if you can direct me to a tutorial or give me any tips, I'd really appreciate it!

I think that in the tute, she just hadn't finished all the middles. I believe her intention is to fill them them all in, as is traditional in CW.

I tried one today and LOVED it!! I want to rush out and get the white to get started!!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-151497-1.htm
In the tute she stated that she actually wanted every other window to be a solid white, so I assume she will go back and just close the seams of the four corners by stitching them down.

Thanks for posting the tute, I have read many of them and this is the first one that made sense to me at the point where the colored fabric was added and the edging was pulled over it and sewn down. I may have to give this a whirl at some point. It's a good way to use up some scraps or for a person who says "I want a purple quilt" for example, you could use a variety of purple fabrics in it and it would have a great finish with all the white to set off the various purples. My little sister may get a purple quilt yet, LOL!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:47 PM

Anyone care to post a pic of Cathedral Windows?
I am working on one for my granddaughter. I do two rolls of squares about 8 x2 background fabrics, sewn together then when they all have the jewels I then sew them together and add jewels to that row. When done I will have two sections of 8 x 2 joined end to end then the next 2 section will add to the width. I plan on 16 x 18 rolls. so I will be doing 18 sections when done. I find I like handling things in little bits and build the quilt as I go. I can work on the sections as I take trips.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-253999.jpe   attachment-254000.jpe   attachment-254001.jpe  
Old 09-09-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L

I think that in the tute, she just hadn't finished all the middles. I believe her intention is to fill them them all in, as is traditional in CW.
In the tute she stated that she actually wanted every other window to be a solid white, so I assume she will go back and just close the seams of the four corners by stitching them down.

Thanks for posting the tute, I have read many of them and this is the first one that made sense to me at the point where the colored fabric was added and the edging was pulled over it and sewn down. I may have to give this a whirl at some point. It's a good way to use up some scraps or for a person who says "I want a purple quilt" for example, you could use a variety of purple fabrics in it and it would have a great finish with all the white to set off the various purples. My little sister may get a purple quilt yet, LOL![/quote]

I guess I didn't read it. Lolol. I agree though, her tutorial was very easy to understand, and being able to do it so successfully is really encouraging.