Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Okay, So Riddle Me This.... >
  • Okay, So Riddle Me This....

• Okay, So Riddle Me This....

Old 12-24-2011, 09:08 AM

Your poor babies! Reminds me of our Redbone Coon Hound, "Red", who hated thunder and fireworks. We have a neighbor that likes to set off fireworks for any reason at all, at any time. Red would jump up on my lap and quiver, all 109# of him!! He would also shake his head.
    Later, when we had to put him down, we found that the cancer that was in his lips, gums and internally was also in one ear canal. Probably why he would shake his head alot with the thunder and fireworks.
    My daughter's neighbors celebrate the 4th of July for 2 weeks with fireworks by Chicago.
    Old 12-24-2011, 12:08 PM

Hi June, please see PM from me.
    Old 12-24-2011, 02:09 PM

Default Okay, So Riddle Me This....

I sympathize with all of you. We have 2 dogs that are also afraid of loud noises. There are some herbal formulas that will help to calm you favorite buddies and help them to get through this sad situation. I use them everytime there is thunder, and of course the inevitable fourth of July.
    Old 12-25-2011, 09:18 AM

If you think or know they will be setting them off even more on New Years you might try buying some Rescue Remedy at a health food store. A few drops of that on the tongue of my dogs who hated fireworks seemed to calm them down. After lightening struck and burned our home 9 years ago they then became obsessed with the smoke alarms in the house. They would go out into their yard and stare up at the roof to see if it was burning as it was in the fire. Even the buzzer on the oven would set them off.
    Old 12-25-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Roberta
    If you think or know they will be setting them off even more on New Years you might try buying some Rescue Remedy at a health food store. A few drops of that on the tongue of my dogs who hated fireworks seemed to calm them down. After lightening struck and burned our home 9 years ago they then became obsessed with the smoke alarms in the house. They would go out into their yard and stare up at the roof to see if it was burning as it was in the fire. Even the buzzer on the oven would set them off.
    The problem with the Rescue Remedy is that you have to give it to them ahead of the impending noises. It takes a while to kick in. Also I have large dogs and you need an awful lot of drops to do any good. I find Benadryl works as well or better, as recommended by my vet. I even tried the Thundershirts; returned them and got my money back. Most dogs know thunder is coming way before we humans can hear it; they feel the pressure changes in the atmosphere. Hunting season is another bad time for my dogs.