Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The importance of dolls and keeping a commitment >

The importance of dolls and keeping a commitment

The importance of dolls and keeping a commitment

Old 09-24-2013, 03:09 AM

Thank You so much for this post. Reading this has strengthened my resolve to get back to sewing small quilts for the project Linus group in my area. I had to stop for a number of reasons, one of them illness, but your story has encouraged me to get going, again! Thanks.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:50 PM

I have never been moved to tears by something posted here untill today I have felt saddened by some posts concerning children but I must say your post really touched my heart. I will pray for this child and pray that god blessess you for your kindness
Old 10-05-2013, 09:53 AM

Teacup, the organization I volunteer for is dedicated to children in foster care. I am in two guilds that provide quilts, pillow cases and pillows to these children. It amazes me how so many people give of their time and money - quilting supplies aren't cheap - to help children in distress. Making these comfort items for kids is truly an act of love.

100% of what this organization (Fostering Hope, in SC) takes in (money, clothes, school supplies, toiletries, etc.) is given back to the kids. The director gives her time to the effort - full time. (She's amazing!) Everyone else who works there is a volunteer, too. I am continually awed by the amount of good work these people do, and am very lucky to be a small part of it.

Personally, I have decided to make at least one doll quilt per month to donate to the organization. I'm hoping others in my guilds will take their scraps and orphan blocks and do the same, so that there will be a ready supply when they are needed - and they are needed!

Folks, if any of you decide to do the same, remember that boys have toys, too, and make some 'boy' doll quilts.

I'm trying to figure out a design that will include a handle to help a child carry the doll and quilt with greater ease. It's in my head right now, just have to make sure it works as I think it will.

The quilt below is from two orphan blocks. My first effort at a doll quilt - not too bad, quick and easy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]439782[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails doll-quilt.jpg  
Old 10-05-2013, 09:55 AM

Lee-Lee is an inspiring child. She won't ever know how much she touched my heart, and now yours, too!