Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How is quilting viewed around the world >

How is quilting viewed around the world

How is quilting viewed around the world

Old 01-25-2014, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Why is fab so expensive in Europe.......most is milled in China or some other third world country then imported here....so why not shipped there too.......is clothing more expensive too?

I think most notions are also " made in China"

Have you also noticed most of our Quilt books are printed on China too!

Well GeriB, there aren't a lot of shops in the diferente cities of Spain, in Madrid (3 million hab.) are only 6 or 7 actually quilting-oriented.
The imported fabrics and notions are charged a lot: a charm pack from Moda (I love them) for example is twice the price here 18-20 dollars, the yardage 20 dollars/yr.
The "patchwork" here is a hobby, a very expensive hobby, not a way of life and a very lively tradition as in USA, Some primary schools there teachs quilting, isn't it? (awww, sorry for my awful grammar...).
Old 01-25-2014, 07:16 AM

Quilting here in the United States is also expensive for those who shop in the LQS, which I do since I really like the feel of the fabric. I have had people at work want a quilt, I will not quilt them but I will help and show them. They are very shocked on how much it cost.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:26 AM

I am in the UK and have taught myself to quilt over the last 6 years or so , goods are expensive here , fabric around 10 pounds (15 doll) a yard and notions the same , but I import from the US as even with postage and a whopping 20% import tax it is still cheaper than buying locally .
Old 01-26-2014, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Why is fab so expensive in Europe.......most is milled in China or some other third world country then imported here....so why not shipped there too.......is clothing more expensive too?

I think most notions are also " made in China"

Have you also noticed most of our Quilt books are printed on China too!
FABRIC 101

"Made in China" is just that. Produced there. It is shipped to the U S . International wholesale fabric Buyers head to Quilt Market (trade show) twice a year in the United States. The quilt fabric, notions, books,patterns, etc. Companies are located here. The fabric mfgr. Source out the actual manufacturing of their brand to mills in China, Korea, Indonesia (batiks) . Ship it to the U S and back out to the stores that buy stock for their shop, etc. International Buyers swarm international Quilt Market in Houston every fall and wherever Market is held in Spring. I think a lot of us on this board would be surprised to hear this. International buyers from all over the world attend Quilt Market.

The fabric mills ship the quilt fabric ROT. (Rolled on tube - means it is rolled on a tube that is the length of the WIDTH of the fabric). Once received at the warehouse, only then will it be folded and rolled onto the bolts as we know them. Clothing manufactures, etc buy fabric ROT...Not bolted, btw.

So, a shop in the UK or Australia is buying their fabric from the United States fabric vendors. The costs associated to shipping is part of the price of goods.

You just cant walk in off the street in China to buy from the mill. Moda, Hoffman, Timeless Treasures, etc. ALL manufacture their fabric overseas. It takes about 3 MONTHS to manufacture and ship the final goods once the designs and final coloring (strike offs) are "approved" for manufacturing. About 6 months from design concept to ship to stores.

Sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 01-26-2014 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:20 AM

Very interesting thread. Nice to hear from quilters around the world.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:01 AM

What an extremely interesting thread - I love it !!
Here are some links to UK Patchwork and Quilting History !!

http://www.janeausten.co.uk/jane-austens-quilt/

http://www.quiltersguild.org.uk/lear...hwork-quilting

http://www.vam.ac.uk/page/q/quilting-and-patchwork/

Regards, Dot.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~kakeand2/page2.html

http://planetpatchwork.com/passtvq/tvq26/england.htm
Old 01-26-2014, 07:04 AM

DottyD---thanks for those links. I'm especially fascinated with the Jane Austen quilt and Rosalee Clark's link.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:40 AM

Sandygirl, thanks for spelling it out so clearly. My Fabric 101 professors in college spent half a semester teaching us that exact thing.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:44 AM

Australia has a big quilting population and their own designs that are unlike those I find in the US or UK. I have family living there, and have subscribed to an Australian on-line quilting magazine for years. Their work is really unique so it must be grounded in traditions, or so I'm thinking. I've also corresponded with a quilter in New Zealand who was quite keen on the craft of quilting, and seemed to have a lot of friends who quilted, but it didn't give me a sense of the tradition in the country as a whole. I lived in England, and quilting is quite prominent over there, especially hand quilting, or so I found at the time (1980's). Both England and Australia put on big quilt shows regularly, so there must be interest. That's all from my own perspective, of course, and not "written" anywhere.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:34 AM

I remember seeing Priscilla Bianchi from Guatamala on Simply Quilts years ago and she said no one quilted in her country and she has since tried to promote quilting there ...
<cite class="vurls">http://www.priscillabianchi.com/</cite>

Last edited by wraez; 01-26-2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: link broken