Diet and Nutrition

Old 01-06-2017, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

I am more and more amused at how similar we are SewingSew. I love my beans. They are so rich, like gold, in so many good ways. I really like making "Vegan Tuna" sandwiches from the garbonzo beans. All beans are great in sandwiches, soups, and salads.
Thanks for sharing.
peace
Old 01-06-2017, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

After reading through the thread, I would like to agree that meat is not a necessity in a human diet. I have not eaten any animal protein in over 40 years. Just having some basic knowledge of nutrition gives you the power to eat a healthy and diet. Humans eat meat for one reason, admit it, it tastes good. The driving force behind a plant based diet is a conversation for another time. I love beans! They make me a happier person.
Thanks for sharing.
peace
Old 01-06-2017, 05:29 AM

I put myself on Atkins 9 days ago, so I'm 9 days into induction. The limit during induction is 20 net carbs per day. I thought it would be difficult, but with only one exception*, it's been easy breezy. No hunger at all, no sugar cravings, and my clothes are already fitting a little looser! It only took a couple of days to get into ketosis. I can definitely handle a diet that includes bacon! LOL! I used to be a Carb Queen, so I'm a little surprised that I haven't wanted any sugary treats, but I really haven't even missed them.

Induction usually last for 2 weeks, but I've got "more than a few" pounds to lose (ha), so I'll probably stay in induction for a longer time.

*The one exception is what they call "keto flu", where your body is adapting from burning carbs to burning fat. Apparently it throws things out of whack for a few days. Headaches, brain fog, fatigue, nausea, and dizziness are pretty common. For a couple of days, I felt so exhausted that I just wanted to stay in bed and sleep. My brain didn't want to work. The next couple of days were easier, but I still felt "off". Now I'm feeling much, much better, and my energy has returned ... and THEN some.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:49 AM

Sewingsew,Before the Cuisinart, I had an electric churn that required rock salt. I have some great vintage recipes for that.

In my early years of making ice cream, using milk from our cow, I went through 3-4 electric 'ice/salt' machines.

I have simplified my recipes and use what Onebyone uses, I use Truvia, then use my last electric ice/salt maker.
I keep the 2-cup containers in the basement freezer to bring one up at a time and one last a long time for just me..
Old 01-06-2017, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I learned many years ago a balanced diet from all food groups is needed to keep one healthy. That is how I raised my kids and how I eat now. I love eggs,pork,chicken,bacon,sausage and beef. I find if I give up any one food, I start to crave it and eat too much. I also eat sweets. I try to not eat too much of anything. If I do I usually don't eat it but once or twice a year. Enjoy eating whatever you eat. This is no dress rehearsal, you don't get another chance to live your life.
I am surely with you, Jingle. I am relatively healthy, keep my weight down, exercise, and eat mostly everything in moderation, home cooked, with some treats sprinkled in.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Those of you who eat low carb, is there a specific number you try not to go over? I am diabetic so that is why I ask, but then I know it depends on what foods make our glucose rise. I just had me some tuna with a small amount of salad dressing. According to one diabetic board the salad dressing that is more like mayo will not cause much rise in the blood glucose, and is a fat that does not hurt anything.

I also love this thread.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
After reading through the thread, I would like to agree that meat is not a necessity in a human diet. I have not eaten any animal protein in over 40 years. Just having some basic knowledge of nutrition gives you the power to eat a healthy and diet. Humans eat meat for one reason, admit it, it tastes good. The driving force behind a plant based diet is a conversation for another time. I love beans! They make me a happier person.
Thanks for sharing.
peace
Ube, I could not have put it better myself. It is in all of our best interest to understand nutrition. Our health depends on it. Especially for those with special nutritional needs; then it is even more important. Different people have different requirements. Knowledge is power!
Old 01-06-2017, 12:46 PM

Moonrise, I tried the Atkins diet nearly 20 years ago. I lost about 30 pounds, so it does work for weight loss. I was doing TaeBo (a kick-boxing exercise routine) at the same time. What I liked about the Atkins diet was that in order for the Ketostix to turn purple, you had to be doing everything correctly. Those Ketostix helped to keep me disciplined and it was gratifying to know that I was successful. However, in my personal opinion, I didn't feel that Atkins was a healthy diet and that is why I didn't stay on it any longer than I did. But I do believe that a low-carb diet can be healthy.
For anyone who is curious, I'll explain how Ketostix work. Ketostix are a type of testing strip that resembles Lithmus paper. You pee on them and they turn different shades of pink to purple, depending on whether you have been successful based on the principles of the diet. The basic idea is to eliminate sugar from your diet. If you have been successful with this, as part of a metabolic process, carbon fragments will be secreted in your urine, and the testing strips change colors based on how many carbon fragments it detects.
The diet works by throwing your body into "Ketosis", not to be confused with as condition associated with Diabetic Ketoacidosis. It promotes lypolysis (the burning of our own stored fat for energy) of which ketones are a by-product. Our bodies use carbohydrates for energy. If they are not available, then it will turn to our fat stores. In the process, carbon fragments are thrown off, and this is what turns the ketostix colors.
Some low-carb diets can be healthy. I prefer Sugarbusters or the South Beach diet. I prefer these 2 low-carb diets because I know that they can be nutritionally sound. They encourage you to select your food based on a glycemic index. They glycemic index measures how much your blood sugar is spiked, and if you choose the proper foods, you have better control of your blood sugar. If I were diabetic, I would be paying careful attention to foods that were known to spike my blood sugar, and I would avoid them.

Last edited by SewingSew; 01-06-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

SewingSew, you are so smart for us. I really like your explanations on a healthy diet. My old adage for a well balanced diet is to
avoid anything that primarily starts out white like rice, bread, salt, flour and sugar.
Use very little and hopefully no processed food stuff.
In our modern world we now have to avoid Genetic modification in our food as much as possible.

The best thing is to
Eat from all the colors of the rainbow.

As mom used to say "Eat every bean and pea on your plate." I always get a chuckle when I remember this.

peace
Old 01-06-2017, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
Moonrise, I tried the Atkins diet nearly 20 years ago. I lost about 30 pounds, so it does work for weight loss. I was doing TaeBo (a kick-boxing exercise routine) at the same time. What I liked about the Atkins diet was that in order for the Ketostix to turn purple, you had to be doing everything correctly. Those Ketostix helped to keep me disciplined and it was gratifying to know that I was successful. However, in my personal opinion, I didn't feel that Atkins was a healthy diet and that is why I didn't stay on it any longer than I did. But I do believe that a low-carb diet can be healthy. ...
It's probably not the healthiest, especially during induction, but it's gotta be healthier than the junk I was eating. LOL! I'm taking supplements to help make sure I'm getting plenty of vitamins, so maybe that will "fill in the gaps" until I start expanding my food choices. For now, I plan to stick with it. It's the only thing I've tried that seems to be working.