Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To label or not to label? >

To label or not to label?

To label or not to label?

Old 07-18-2018, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

I don't label my quilts. I don't think they will ever become heirlooms. Maybe that isn't a necessary criterion but, still, don't label. I make quilts because I like to, and if they get used by a recipient, I'm good with that.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

I only labeled a few quilts. I never put labels on any other quilts.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:22 PM

I label my quilts, but not for the purpose of giving information to the fair judges. They are not supposed to see the quilter's name. My name and information are on the entry form and on the fold-up tag that I watch the fair helper pin on the quilt at entry time.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

I ALWAYS label quilts. Generic labels ( quilts I don’t know where will wind up, or many sale/ donation quilts) I put name of quilt, my name, City, state, date, fiber content and care instructions. Gift quilts I personalize the labels.
I sew them on the back, usually in a corner where the binding sews down 2 sides, I hand stitch the other two sides.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:54 PM

Lesson learned....I made a baby quilt for a friends daughter several years ago. The focus color was yellow, it was lovely. I did not know mom-to-be had a major dislike for yellow and she sent the quilt to a thrift store. It really upset me. I NEVER made anything for any of her family members again! I was tired and running behind when I realized I hadn't put a label on it. I let it go. I wonder if it had a label if she would have thrown it off?
Old 07-23-2018, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I put labels on my quilts - I like the embroidered labels for special gifts. The year is a must Time flies so I like to have that on there

I hand sew them to the back after the quilting is completed

Now I am going to make a quilt for myself and I am wondering if I should put one on that or not..... have to think about that
You should still put a label on it. That way down the years, family will know you made it and when.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnaLeeQuilts View Post
Lesson learned....I made a baby quilt for a friends daughter several years ago. The focus color was yellow, it was lovely. I did not know mom-to-be had a major dislike for yellow and she sent the quilt to a thrift store. It really upset me. I NEVER made anything for any of her family members again! I was tired and running behind when I realized I hadn't put a label on it. I let it go. I wonder if it had a label if she would have thrown it off?
Such a sad story. So sorry to hear.