Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you dont pre wash? >

If you dont pre wash?

If you dont pre wash?

Old 12-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

The old utililty quilts were made from used garments - sometimes lined with old sheets - no crinkly look on those.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:05 AM

To me, it's not about shrinkage per se although that's a good reason on its own. It's about all the chemicals and who knows what else coming from (usually) Asian countries. It's about fabric bleeding. I've had LQS quality fabric bleed horribly. It's about killing off any critter eggs like bedbugs and even maggots! It's about knowing what the final product will be like ahead of time. I want the best control of my project and I guess control is my main reason.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
To me, it's not about shrinkage per se although that's a good reason on its own. It's about all the chemicals and who knows what else coming from (usually) Asian countries. It's about fabric bleeding. I've had LQS quality fabric bleed horribly. It's about killing off any critter eggs like bedbugs and even maggots! It's about knowing what the final product will be like ahead of time. I want the best control of my project and I guess control is my main reason.
If your LQS has bedbugs and maggots you *really* need to find a better LQS!

Every time I've been in a LQS when fabric arrived the bolt was shrink wrapped in plastic.

Go in any LQS and ask where their washer and dryer is.

One of the oldest quilt instructors in the country, Harriet Hargrave doesn't prewash.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by Candace
If your LQS has bedbugs and maggots you *really* need to find a better LQS!

Every time I've been in a LQS when fabric arrived the bolt was shrink wrapped in plastic.

Go in any LQS and ask where their washer and dryer is.

One of the oldest quilt instructors in the country, Harriet Hargrave doesn't prewash.

<Sigh>, not all fabric grows in LQS.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:04 AM

It depends on what fabric I'm using. If I am using pre-cuts like a jelly roll I don't pre-wash. If I am using other fabric yardage (usually from the same collection) with the jelly roll, I don't pre-wash it either so they are all the same.

If it's straight yardage I always pre-wash, dry, iron, and starch.

Edited to add... I am working on a Civil War repro quilt and the fabrics are all nice fabrics that I got on eBay, 200 9x11 pieces. I pre-washed all the fabrics (I believe I used 48 of them, maybe more) since I had no indication of what manufacturer or collection they were. I am so glad I did because there were some very obvious differences in the sizes of the washed, dried, starched and ironed pieces. I would have hated to spend months on this quilt (my Avatar pic) and then have all these fabrics shrink differently.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:32 AM

Some folks prefer the look you get by washing after it is quilted. More of an antique look I think. I think it depends on the project.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
It depends on what fabric I'm using. If I am using pre-cuts like a jelly roll I don't pre-wash. If I am using other fabric yardage (usually from the same collection) with the jelly roll, I don't pre-wash it either so they are all the same.

If it's straight yardage I always pre-wash, dry, iron, and starch.

Edited to add... I am working on a Civil War repro quilt and the fabrics are all nice fabrics that I got on eBay, 200 9x11 pieces. I pre-washed all the fabrics (I believe I used 48 of them, maybe more) since I had no indication of what manufacturer or collection they were. I am so glad I did because there were some very obvious differences in the sizes of the washed, dried, starched and ironed pieces. I would have hated to spend months on this quilt (my Avatar pic) and then have all these fabrics shrink differently.
Seeing is sometimes believing!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Brendat0426
If you dont prewash your fabrics, then when you are done and everything is quilted and bound wont the fabric shrink? New to this, and I have washed everything before but I thought if i didnt and then washed it, it might affect the project that I made. Like my Christmas stockings or tree skirt and first quilt.
Might think about the project--for example: who washes tree skirts or Christmas stockings, and most wall hangings? Not very many of us is my guess. I personally do not prewash and have had nor problems. I've been quilting for years. However, many swear by prewash, so I think you have to decide what your are comfortable with. How's that for a "non-answer".
Old 12-16-2010, 05:04 AM

I never prewash. I just make sure that I use cold water and put white vinegar in it to keep colors from running. This is something my MIL taught me decades ago. I also put in a sheet of that Shout product which picks up any vagabond color in the water. (Can't think of the name of it right now and family sleeping so don't want to make noise opening the laundry room door. LOL)
Then I dry it on a not too hot cycle or outdoors if it is warm weather.
Then I press it IF IT NEEDS IT, using Best Press spray starch with lavender scent.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:34 AM

I usually don't pre-wash & only once did I really regret it, when I used Aunt Gracie fabric on rail fence place mats. After a few washes I now have pot-holders :)