Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fat Quarters or Yardage >

Fat Quarters or Yardage

Fat Quarters or Yardage

Old 06-10-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Carie
:roll: I am just over-whelmed about your quilt and the number of pieces it took-questions: how long did it take you to make it and would you please post a picture of it.
It didn't take as long as I thought it would - a couple of weeks, but I wasn't pushing myself to get it sewn, so I might have worked on it only an hour or two then I'd go do something else. It's strip and chain-pieced as much as possible.

There are a couple of rows missing at the top because they're hanging over the upstairs balcony. And the lines just look wavy because the hanging part is rippled a little bit.

I first planned this to be a double nine-patch with star-point sashings and nine-patch cornerstones. But then I couldn't figure out how to get four different fabrics to meet at 8 points in 64 different stars. I made the star blocks with nine patch and square sashing. Much easier.

Finished quilt top - 93" sq - nine patches are 3" sq
[ATTACH=CONFIG]209393[/ATTACH]

This was the original sashing block that I was going to put around the double-nine patch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]209419[/ATTACH]

Star block with nine patch and square sashing & cornerstone
[ATTACH=CONFIG]209434[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-209387.jpe   attachment-209413.jpe   attachment-209428.jpe  
Old 06-10-2011, 06:39 AM

Yardage at my LQS is usually $9.26 and FQ's from the same bolts are $2.90.

But on Mondays, FQ's are 30% off, so they cost $8.12 a yard - less than yardage.

You can also get some fair quality FQ's at Joann Fabrics for $1.00-1.29/each. Sometimes, they have them at 40% off and I've seen them at 2/$1 or 3/$1 for moonlight madness type of sales. Be careful - try to feel a single thickness of each one - hard to do the way they wrap them. Some of them are truly awful fabrics, but a lot them are medium-quality and a few are very nice.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:48 AM

FQs are usually more expensive per yard.

I started out buying lots of fat quarters so I had variety (which worked great for the applique I was doing at the time), but switched over to yardage (for the baby quilts I'm doing now).

I think it's good to have a collection of both. You never know when your quilting interests are going to change.

I bought many of my fat quarters on ebay in lots. One time I wound up with a huge box of almost 200 different, high quality fat quarters for under $50.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:47 AM

FQ's are generally a little more expensive, but are a great way to have extra stash for that piece that just needs "something"
Old 06-10-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by cowpie2
Generally FQ are more expensive than yardage. There are 4 Fat Quarters in a yard of fabric. So if you buy 4 FQ at $2.50 each then you have paid essentially $10 for a yard of fabric.
Which is not a bad price when you see the cost of a yard of fabric. I like fat quarters because I can get a better variety that way, and I tend to use a lot of them. Jan
Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 AM

Gorgeous quilt. I assume that you used a lot of fat quarters to get a good variety of fabrics! Jan
Old 06-10-2011, 09:45 AM

thepolyparrot, I'm in awe. I can only dream that I will be able to make such a beautiful quilt.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:52 AM

FQs are quick too. You can run in and grab a few FQ and not have to wait for someone to cut your fabric.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:00 PM

I found that if my project is pieced with repetitve pattern, yardage is necessary. But if it is an applique, fat quarters come in handy for a variety of color. With applique, you still need yardage for background.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:13 PM

I never buy fat quarters unless they are on sale. Do the math, you get more for your money if you purchase a quarter of a yard.