Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy quilts >

Scrappy quilts

Scrappy quilts

Old 07-06-2011, 02:28 AM

I didn't think much about scrappy quilts till I completed one for my DD recently. Now I feel they are an excellent way to put together all those scraps of fabrics we love so much into an interesting quilt. Definitely calls for a pretty visual display!
Old 07-06-2011, 02:50 AM

I love scrap quilts. I'm not very good at making them, I try though lol. I have a couple done that I really love. But I have one that is a UFO now....because I just hate it lol
Old 07-06-2011, 02:51 AM

My favorite part about a scrap quilt is that it has pieces of all my past projects. I can look at it and smile when I see a certain fabric because I know that piece is in my Dad's quilt or my son's quilt etc.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:53 AM
Swap Hosts

The first quilt I made was a scrappy crazy quilt. I was in my 20s and traveling all over the world and really missed home and my family. In between jaunts, I stopped home and found my mother sewing a house dress. As we chatted and caught up I looked through all the little scraps of fabric she kept. A bit from the slipcover she made for my grandmother's rocking chair, another from the curtains in my bedroom, some from a dress she made me. I had no idea what I was doing - didn't know a thing about foundation piecing, but I took those little scraps of memories with me when I left and made a tiny quilt from them. Each little piece brought back a memory and I was so glad that my mother kept those scraps.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:59 AM

I like the quilts that I make to be well used (well LOVED), and I also like being able to use up stash.

I agree with you that the visual part could be a little daunting.... but Mother Nature uses lots of colors in her flower beds, and everything seems to match, right? We need to be able to "think freely" once in a while, and a nice scrappy quilt can let us do that.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:01 AM

When material is $21-$26 a metre on average, it is nice to not waste a bit and to produce nice things from challenging colours or shapes.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:15 AM

I make scrappy quilts and for me the appeal is the fabrics. I love the fabrics I buy,really an attachment to them. With scrappy quilts I am able to use bits and pieces of them, many in the same block/quilt, and each time I look at the finished piece it's like a stroll down memory lane for me. Where I bought it, who I was with, what show was I at. The scrappy quilt is almost like a photo album of memories for me.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Scrap quilts are what I grew up using. They are my favorite.
The other quilts a beautiful but they don't equal cozy and wrapped in love. Just my thoughts and feeling.
I agree with this..and it also gives plenty of color most times. Gives me fond memories from my childhood.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:18 AM

I think it is totally a personal thing.

I, personally, can't deal with quilts that ARE NOT scrap most of the time. I was drawn to quilting when I was looking at magazine that showcased quilts in the decor.

My love of quilts comes from the traditional sense. I love the reproduction quilts for the 1800's era and am drawn to the ones that you know where sewn by the prairie women from their little girls old dresses and little boys old shirts.

If I make a quilt that should be a 3 or 4 color quilt, for example, I will tend to buy lots of fabrics in those 3 or 4 colors. So, for example, if red is one of the 3 or 4 fabrics I will get lots of reds in the same shade, but different fabrics and prints.

I'm a fat quarter bundle kind of person. I have been this way since the beginning (I have quilted for about 8 or 10 years now) and don't see myself changing all that much.

I also think I'm A.D.D. when it comes to my quilting because I get bored really easy once I start something and it takes everything in me not to stop and move on to another project. I think my favorite part of quilting is finding the idea, choosing the fabrics, and cutting it up to begin the project. Once I start sewing it gets hard for me to complete the project. Borders are my lease favorite part of the quilt (by then I really want to move on), which is probably why I love scrap quilts so much (so many never have a border). Using lots of fabrics keeps me interested in the project longer for sure. At any given time I have about 15 projects going at once. I have a table in my quilting room that has all my projects in progress on it. It drives me crazy, but it is just me and how I work.

The only time I don't do scrap is when there is a fabric that just screams to be showcased all by itself.

OK, I'll shut up now :D

Suzanne
Old 07-06-2011, 03:18 AM
Power Poster

I am relatively new to quilting (7 years) and didn't grow up with quilts, but have loved the scrappy look from the start. Someone upthread said "chaotic visual interest" and I guess that's what does it for me, but, I think of chaotic in the most positive enjoyable way.