Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Table for Singer Featherweight~~~Question >

Table for Singer Featherweight~~~Question

Table for Singer Featherweight~~~Question

Old 09-13-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
Originally Posted by quilter309
Jean S. Lyle P.O. Box 289. Quincy, IL 62306-0289. Phone: (217) 222-8910. Fax: (217) 222-6053. Email: [email protected]. Website: www.jslyle.com

Hope you can get ahold of them! I don't remember her husband's name, but he used to sell insurance and will talk your leg off!
LOL...but they know their stuff...
Patricia - I have never seen or heard of one such as you have described. I'm sorry that I can't help you with your problem. My best guess would be that it may have been a sample (or trial) table that Singer made to see if it would sell. We have run into a couple of cases that were made in such a manner for "trial" purposes. I would not change the table you have, but, at the same time, your need is the more important thing to consider.
Thank you for your inquiry. If you need more information that we can supply, please don't hesitate to contact us.
Jean & Bill Lyle

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-08-2018 at 05:54 AM. Reason: shouting /all caps
Old 09-13-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009
Billy or anyone who can help me.
I found an antique base to a treadle mach this morning.
I have a featherweight table that I would like to remove the legs from and attach to this treadle base o use for me featherweight .
My table has the FW label on the back
is quite old but there is no opening cutout to drop machine in
I have tried to research this table to see if it has value before I do anything to it. I have not had much luck.
I have never seen one without the opening surface on Ebay ither.
Any help would be appreciated.
This information might help...seems it was not a sewing machine table but a true card table...it was light weight so was labeled "feather weight".

E.T. Burrowes Co. on Free Street was a huge company that opened in 1873 to make pool tables, card tables, storage chests and other wood products.

In 1913-1914, the company had 30 women and 250 men employees.

This company was in portland maine if you want to research it there are lots of links out there.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-08-2018 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by kellen46
Originally Posted by dreamer2009
Billy or anyone who can help me.
I found an antique base to a treadle mach this morning.
I have a featherweight table that I would like to remove the legs from and attach to this treadle base o use for me featherweight .
My table has the FW label on the back
is quite old but there is no opening cutout to drop machine in
I have tried to research this table to see if it has value before I do anything to it. I have not had much luck.
I have never seen one without the opening surface on Ebay ither.
Any help would be appreciated.
This information might help...seems it was not a sewing machine table but a true card table...it was light weight so was labeled "feather weight".

E.T. Burrowes Co. on Free Street was a huge company that opened in 1873 to make pool tables, card tables, storage chests and other wood products.

In 1913-1914, the company had 30 women and 250 men employees.

This company was in portland maine if you want to research it there are lots of links out there.
wow...thanks so much :)

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-08-2018 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:09 AM

E.T. Burrowe Co. Portland Maine was a maker of sliding screen, but was also known to have made tools and some items of furniture such as Pool Tables, cedar chest and portable card tables. It was not meant for the singer machine. But it could be very valuable, if you find the history of the company you may be able to find the years it was made.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by elliej
E.T. Burrowe Co. Portland Maine was a maker of sliding screen, but was also known to have made tools and some items of furniture such as Pool Tables, cedar chest and portable card tables. It was not meant for the singer machine. But it could be very valuable, if you find the history of the company you may be able to find the years it was made.
I have a brian injury and never got very far in searching the co.
it's to hard for me.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:18 PM

I did not see a card table just like yours but I saw some similar in make and age...they ranged from $50 to $300. So it seems you may have a hidden gem....remember a thing is only worth what some one is willing to pay for it. You might have more luck researching Arts and Craft decor which I think your table might fit right in the middle of this period. Arts and crafts decor lasted through the Victorian era to the Art Deco period
Old 09-13-2011, 01:24 PM

Sorry, Dreamer....I thought they might have more info...

But, at least they contacted you...so many of these places don't even bother.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
Sorry, Dreamer....I thought they might have more info...

But, at least they contacted you...so many of these places don't even bother.
I really appreciate the help.
I'm at a total loss as to what to do with.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ewecansew
Not sure, but that may just be the name of the card table. It doesn't say Singer on it. And if my memory serves me correct, Singer didn't actually have 'featherweight' in the name when the machines were manufactured. I will look when I get to work where my featherweight cart table is.
I think you are right about this. the real tables for the
221 & 301 are quite different from this. but it is a unique table, I would not cannibalize it since it is probably very old.
be interesting to see if anyone comes up with more info.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

I heard back from the person on VintageSingers who has been doing the research on FW tables. He thinks it is probably just a card table made by that company, having nothing to do with Singer sewing machines. I agree with this assessment. I also think it may have come out much earlier than the FW, which I think came out in 1951. The Burrowes company was producing card tables, pool tables, etc. at a much earlier time frame.

I still don't think I would take it apart. Do you think an antique dealer would have more information, not about that table specifically, but about early card tables in general? There are several on ebay, some at really high prices (but I don't think those are selling).

Some more information about card tables made by Burrowes -

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Site...?img=106933393

Scan down the page and see the Burrowes card table selling in 1924 for $1.98! This is not the same one you have - but similar. It does have a green leatherette top.

I just found it at another store (in 1923) for $1.85. It's clearly getting more valuable as time goes on...
http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...AAIBAJ&pg=1533,1653454

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-08-2018 at 05:55 AM. Reason: shouting /all caps