Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charms vs Layer Cakes vs Jelly Rolls vs Fat Quarters.... >

Charms vs Layer Cakes vs Jelly Rolls vs Fat Quarters....

Charms vs Layer Cakes vs Jelly Rolls vs Fat Quarters....

Old 01-12-2012, 11:57 AM

The only precuts I've purchased have been jelly rolls on sale. I find that they can be a very useful precut. I've received a good number of fq's as gifts or trades but but find them generally too small to be of much use. I also get remnants when they are a fabric I feel sure I'm going to wish I had, if they are at least 1/2 yard to a yard. In general I buy a yard of any fabric I like. If I really like it I may get 2 or 3 yards, especially if it would work well as a backing.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:52 PM

If I want a variety of coordinating fabrics, I buy a layer cake, which usually contains all patterns in a collection, so they go well together and the 10 inch square pieces are large enough for a nice quilt.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by lizzyq View Post
If I want a variety of coordinating fabrics, I buy a layer cake, which usually contains all patterns in a collection, so they go well together and the 10 inch square pieces are large enough for a nice quilt.
This is why I think I might buy some I like, because I can always add yardage to them. I have a couple picked out.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:38 PM

I buy yardage too, no precuts of any type or size. I will not buy fat quarters if I can get out of it. If I like a fabric well enough to buy it a fat quarter isn't going to do it for me. They are a basic waste of money to me.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:41 PM

I buy yardage and only what I need, I don't do good with scraps.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:53 PM

Interesting thread! So far i have mainly bought FQs, because scrappy is my thing and I only need a little bit of anything. I could of course buy charm packs for the same reason- i am often tempted as I surely use up lots of time hunting for oordinating fabrics, but I realised that I like that process, and love the idea that my product will be totally unique. I am not attracted to kits where you end up with something just the same as everyone else's.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

remember a 10" layer cake can be cut in half-in both directions and give you 4 times as many charm (5") squares- sometimes buying the layer cake makes more sense cost wise- you can cut it in half- then save one half- 5"x10" and cut the other in 1/2 again and have 2 x's the charm squares.
i seldom purchase pre-cuts- if i do it is only because i do want one of each fabric in the line- and i choose which ever pre-cut is the most (cost effective)- whether it be a layer cake- a charm pack or a jelly roll- then i purchase yardage of coordinates to go with it- but only if i just have to have one of every fabric-and there is more than 20 of them.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:31 AM

I find that in buying the charms and jelly rolls I don't use them. I like to look at them on the shelf. Rather dumb reason to spend money on them but stash lovers will understand. I really like to look at all of the pretty colors of material on my shelves.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:04 AM

When I started quilting, I didn't have any cotton yardage because I had only done clothing and home decorating. I had to go out and spend the time and money looking for cottons that appealed to me to do a project. Sometimes I found FQ's (and later decided that they weren't worth the money) but mostly bought 1/2 yd to 3 yds of fabrics. I also found that in a very short time I had built up a closet full of fabric (stash) without a project in mind and now am trying to work it down and away. I did fall in love with batiks and bought jelly rolls and yardage. I have since (thanks to this wonderful board) discovered Connecting Threads and MSQ and have bought precuts, templates, and thread from them but, still when they are only on sale.......love the MSQ daily deals. I only bought yardage that was on sale or that I had coupons for from JA or Hancocks and never for more than $5.00 a yd. I do love getting a complete line in the precuts now because I could spend so much time and money trying to do the same thing in yardage.

Jinnie
Old 01-13-2012, 05:21 AM

I drool over strips, layer cakes and charm squares, but if not on sale, I buy yardage. I just cringe when I figure out approximately what a yard costs me for pre-cuts.