Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is important to know, for Log Cabin >

What is important to know, for Log Cabin

What is important to know, for Log Cabin

Old 11-03-2012, 01:35 PM

I have used both the Eleanor Burns and the Judy Martin method. I can go much faster with Eleanor Burns method -- and I do prefer speed. I do a lot of starching to keep the logs straight (I have lines on my ironing board so I can keep the strips straight), I use a scant 1/4" and I square up after each round.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi View Post
Whether you decide to go with a strip/chain piecing method or cutting every piece separately, the best tip I can give you is the one I give my Learn to Quilt students: cut your last 2 pieces or strips 1/2" wider than everything else. You can always trim a block down but you can't make it bigger! This has saved many a block, especially for those who haven't yet mastered the scant quarter inch seam.
Mimi..I have saved this tip..It's excellent!!
Old 11-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

Our quilt guild had a demo of the log cabin trim tool last month. There are some limitations on the size of the log cabin block it will deal with. It is good for trimming up log cabin blocks as-you-go. I believe the one pictured in this thread works for log cabin blocks up to 8". There is another tool for larger blocks -- maybe 12"? Anyway, I ended up not buying it just because I realized that not only do I not need it (have not had a problem so far with log cabin blocks turning out wonky or not to size), it adds an extra step to each log. I'm more in the speed-piecing/strip-piecing category of quilters so, for me, this tool would probably have sat in my someday-I-will-have-to-try-this-out drawer for gadjets I have bought over the years.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:32 AM

Get Eleanor Burns book for a log cabin. SO EASY....clear instructions. This was my first quilt and it was so easy to do. She uses chain type construction.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I think it really depends a lot on the individual person. I love making log cabin blocks and have never had a problem with them being crooked. I do not prewash my fabric before cutting it into strips (using the June Tailor Shape Cut mat). I do not use a foundation. I do chain-type production sewing using strips; I never pre-cut my log cabin blocks. The blocks always come out really nice and I have no problems sewing them together. If someone is getting a crooked block, then the easiest solution is to make the last strips a little wider, then cut the block down to correct size. (I have never had to do this.)

I tried the Judy Martin log cabin book and started a quilt using her methods. It just about drove me crazy. There is a ***lot*** of work involved in cutting all those logs! Went back to my strip piecing method and am much happier.
I could not agree more.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:11 AM

This log cabin ruler may look intimidating - I thought so as well. There is a tutorial online when you google the ruler that shows how easy it really is. You'll wonder how you did without it before. I've done log cabin quilts in the past with not much success in perfecting blocks, but this ruler makes it E-A-S-Y!! Treat yourself!
Originally Posted by indymta View Post
Thank you susansomethings for asking that question. I've wanted to try a log pattern but have also heard it is so difficult to keep it straight. The suggestions from all have been very helpful. I like helpful tools and the ruler looks intriguing but also confusing...is it difficult/confusing to use?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by susansomethings View Post
I have read & heard it said Log Cabin is an easy quilt to make. But I have also heard that some people have problems with it being crooked . I am wanting to make a Log Cabin...but I really want it to be stright and neat. What I am looking for is important tips that will help it come out really nice. Whats your best do's or dont's...I just thought it would be eaiser to ask then to search...all you ladies are so great in what you do..all info will be greatly appriciated.
I did mine following E Burns QUilt In A Day book.....Also made sure it was on the frame straight.Hand quilted it for my daughter.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:12 AM

I always press using a piece of paper towel over the new block piece to prevent any stretching or distortion.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:48 AM

Creative grids has a log cabin ruler which really makes it easy to make perfect log cabin blocks.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 AM

AccuQuiltGo! has a new die for a 12' log cabin block, if any of you use this machine. Their advertising says it will cut 6 layers of fabric at a time for this block. I have not seen it at JoAnn's yet, but it is on the AccuQuilt website. It's on my wish list!