Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My next Scraps and Crump Quilt >

My next Scraps and Crump Quilt

My next Scraps and Crump Quilt

Old 05-29-2013, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
How sweet and generous of you to do all that work and post it for us for free! I'd love to try this, but I've never done any paper piecing and it looks beyond my pitiful skill level! Hope you keep posting your progress on this quilt!

You can search the web for paper piecing and find lots of tutorials for a beginner. It's not hard.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:36 AM

This is great. Thanks
Old 05-29-2013, 11:55 AM

Before you do that, if you want to play with this idea today, your house is full of circles. Kitchen has dinner plates, salad plates, maybe a platter or pizza pan, all sizes of cups/mugs etc and then if you want a really huge circle, you probably have a round trashcan somewhere that you can trace. I mark (permanent marker which comes off later with nail polish remover even on nice breakable plates and stuff) partial circles ------ quarter circles, half circles, 2/3 or whatever----and that way, I standardize my tracing so it's the same each time.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:53 PM

I sewed three clams together. Place two clams, on top of each other, right sides together. Sew about 1/2 inch up from the bottom up, press the seam open. Sew a clam into that curve just made. Here are the three sewed together and then I just layed another one to the top line and layed one in that curve.

So, I would sew a whole row of clams across and insert the bottom ones. The can be done in 3's and then the 3's joined and a clam inserted into that curve. Well, that is what I've come up with so far.
Attached Thumbnails three-clamssewed.jpg   five-clams.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rosyhf View Post
I made the pdf. I printed it out and compared it with my orginal and it matches, so let see some Pickled ladies. Post them in here. The collar is paperpieced or use the freezer paper method and just follow what I did, if you need to. On the clamshell, the graph you see around the top is the 1/4 ins seam allowance. All seam allowances included on both pieces.
Rosey , Your fabrics are super. That royal purple and fire orange. WOW!

I just printed my copy of your draft. I am so excited. I'll have to drop every thing I have in the works and start pulling fabric. Oh my, oh my, oh my!

Thank you as much as I can, and more!
peace
Old 05-29-2013, 01:41 PM

Crumbs and schnibbles are just small pieces of fabric that are almost too small to do anything with. Scraps are scraps in varying sizes but larger than crumbs. Look at Bonnie Hunter's crumb quilts.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

You never know until you try. This is going to be a challenge for me too. I have a little experience with curves but nothing so complex, Just curved piecing in square blocks. PP is one of my favorite things to do so that part won't be the problem for me. Piecing the ladies together will be my challenge and lesson.

For the rest of the week I'l be testing fabrics and start piecing Saturday. I also have the first week in July off so this will be my major project for that week. If I actually accomplish this It will be the most amazing adventure in quilting I have had in a very long time.
I am so excited
peace
Old 05-29-2013, 01:57 PM

Oh wow !! that is going to be stunning!!!!
Old 05-29-2013, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
You never know until you try. This is going to be a challenge for me too. I have a little experience with curves but nothing so complex, Just curved piecing in square blocks. PP is one of my favorite things to do so that part won't be the problem for me. Piecing the ladies together will be my challenge and lesson.

For the rest of the week I'l be testing fabrics and start piecing Saturday. I also have the first week in July off so this will be my major project for that week. If I actually accomplish this It will be the most amazing adventure in quilting I have had in a very long time.
I am so excited
peace
Ube, take the paper pattern of the clam and glue it to template plastic and cut it out. Trace around it on one square of fabric or scrap, then put that traced fabric on another two, pin here and there and cut out three at a time. Paper piece the collar.

find the center of both the collar and the clam and pin. Pin the edges of the collar to the edges of the clam, being real careful to put a pin through the 1/4 inch seam allowances at both ends, the little points of the collar should hang out from the clam 1/4 inch. Now, between the middle mark and the end on one side, squish the collar onto clam top and pin, make it fit, it will fit, take your time, do the other side.

I would advise to use a longer stitch when you put the collar on, make just one, to test. If you have to rip, it will be easy with the longer stitches. If it's right, sew again with the 2.5 stitch. The collar will be the hardest part of this, but if done as above, it will work.

Here are the scraps I pulled out of the drawer.
Attached Thumbnails dsc00031.jpg   dsc00033.jpg   dsc00034.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

Oh is that cool