Hearing Loss?

Old 10-05-2013, 03:19 PM

Ads generally use a fairly limited vocabulary, and repeat themselves a lot to get a simple message across. They also use visual cues (like pictures of the product) so you pretty much know what they are going to say even before they open their mouths. And yes they are louder too.

TV shows depict more complex situations, where it is not easy to predict what people will say, people speak over each other, interrupt, etc. Many also have (to me very very irritating) canned laughter in the background which also confuses the sound.

So I don't find it surprising at all that you miss more in shows than in ads, especially if you are a little hard of hearing anyway.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:47 PM

Default Hearing loss

I think you are facing a deteriorating audibility. According to the hearing capacity a person can be categorized on to mild, moderate or high hearing loss. There are sub categories also and at times you need to properly go through test conducted by an audiologist on hearing evaluation, examination of ears and based on analysis audiologist can determine the degree of your hearing loss. According to your issues on hearing health audiologist will suggest a suitable hearing aid that perfects you. Hearing loss is a serious issue that affects our daily life and work so you need to get it fixed as early as possible.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:04 AM

My DH has problems hearing conversations when there is any type of background noise. He has tinnitus (sp?) Funny how he can hear his cell in the back of the house.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

Also, part of the problem is DH asking "what did he/she say?" and having a running commentary on the shows I am trying to watch/hear.

Love him dearly, but sometimes I sure would like to duct tape his mouth closed!