Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to see better while hand sewing at night >

How to see better while hand sewing at night

How to see better while hand sewing at night

Old 10-15-2013, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
I have a light that goes around my head, like a miner's lamp. It can be adjusted so I don't have to put my head way down for it to shine on the fabric. I got it in a sporting goods store, Cabella, I think; maybe Bass pro shop.
I bought one of those at Harbor Freight for about $3. It worked great in a dorm room in Lithuania where the light switch was across the room from the bed. I haven't tried it for sewing yet.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:30 AM

I have two Ott lamps and love them both. I use it day and night also.

Happened on one at a garage sale and one on clearance at Hobby Lobbby.

Linda
Old 10-15-2013, 04:40 AM

I love my OTT lamps. I got them before the energy saver bulbs. And they are bright and adjustable makes it easy to move where needed. I have three. One over machine, one over cutting table and one at sewing chair. Love, love, love them. Has anyone tried the new LED type?
Old 10-15-2013, 05:08 AM

I have 2 stand-type Ott lights plus 3 table top Ott lights, one of those little lights that sticks on my sewing machine PLUS 2 lights from IKEA. IMHO, you can't get too much light when it comes to sewing, close work or reading. On top of that, I have one of those miner type lights that has several settings which works great. When I paint a room or woodwork, I wear the miners light so that I can see any flaws. Call me anal retentive, or what....but I want to see as good as I can.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:14 AM

I have some problem with macular degeneration and good lighting is essential. My husband has set up a draft table light with a circular bulb for my sewing table. It is affixed to the sewing desk in front of my machine and the extension arm comes forward. There are no shadows and it is like daylight. I do all of my hand work in this area as well as my machine work. Floor lamps, even with bendable arms and Ott lights do not work as well for me. I will look into the headlamp idea in the future as that sounds like a nice idea that would be more portable.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:38 AM

There's a small, portable Ott light. You just open the cover and it goes on. Of course, it has to be plugged in.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:42 AM

I bought a genuine Otto light bulb at Lowe's and it fit right into the lamp I have over the sewing machine. It made a huge difference, so when I saw an Otto light at BJs for $19.99, (table lamp) I jumped on it. I move it downstairs when I need extra lighting for sewing bindings at night. I also use "cheaters" to read, but use a higher power for sewing. That seems to help, too.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 AM

I have (Ithink its called a mother and child lamp) - popped in daylight bulbs and is brilliant for handsewing which I do every evening - one tip, don't look at the light takes ages for your eyes to re-adjust ha ha ha
Old 10-15-2013, 06:42 AM

If I'm not around mu ott light, I use one of those head lamps that campers/hikers use. I stole my first one from my husband!. You can find them in any sports store, walmart, target, etc.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:15 AM

The ott lights are great, I also use a pair of drug store reading glasses over my glasses to see better, it works good.