Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The old-fasioned, tedious way - >

The old-fasioned, tedious way -

The old-fasioned, tedious way -

Old 10-31-2015, 07:47 AM

Default hand stitching

I love to hand stitch....learned when i was a child.....love to sit with my bindings in front of tv...only time i watch.....
Old 10-31-2015, 08:31 AM

I like the look of long stitches done by hand, but I have not done one that way, (yet!)....I always remember my Mom's comment on her neighbor's hand quilting..." Toenail catchers!" �� Maybe I will make a lap quilt for myself with those stitches, then I can admire to my heart's content.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:00 AM

Well at my age I remember when the only way was the old hard way so I love my new quicker, easier ways of doing things. I still do some hand stitching but the new rulers and the rotary cutter and mat are so wonderful. It used to take me days of hand cutting before I could think of starting to sew. I still find boxes of half cut out quilt tops that I got so tired of cutting I just stopped and put them away and forgot about them.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:47 AM

I love to hand piece little blocks they give me something to do when waiting, I also enjoy hand applique nothing compares to it. Then I love to hand quilt a special quilt. Right now I have a special one waiting for a wool batting and the right backing. The last hand quilted quilt I finished people thought it was a tapestry. No it wasn't, isn't just heavily quilted except for certain areas which I tied in memory of my grandmother. Here is a picture of that quilt.
Attached Thumbnails matilda.jpg  
Old 10-31-2015, 12:25 PM

I am forced by my health to do most things the modern way, and am grateful that I have all those helps available. My one consistent pleasure is drawing and grafting out patterns by hand.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:02 PM

Patchwork of the Crosses--fussy cutting, basting, whipstitch assembly. Grandmother's Flower Garden left me determined to NEVER paper piece then access to the internet let me see the possibilities.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
Maviskw, that is what we use at the "Kalico Kwikters" in Yorkville, Illinois. We are about 25 to 40 women every Wednesday from 8- 3. It is so much fun. We pin our quilts and have 4 going at all times. We have a coffe break with show and tell at 9:30 and lunch at noon. If your quilt is being done you and the other 3 ladies are in charge of lunch. Coffee break snacks are from volunteers. If you are ever near Please join us. We are upstairs at the Farmers Co-op. This group is about to celebrate its 40th anniversary.
I would love to join you. In Yorkville ? ? ? ? Were going to Chicago on Nov 21, but that is for an early ThanksHanukkah party. We sneak Christmas in there too, somewhere. We all fit together as one family.
Enjoy your quilt frames.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
overwhelm me....just like shopping in the mall does!!! Jan in VA
Jan, I feel the same way. In the last 5 years I have bought a few packs of underpants and one pair of shoes in a mall. Just being in the building makes me sick.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:00 PM

I call it my solar clothes dryer, but grandma called it a clothesline! With a nice breeze, I don't even have to iron my new fabrics (which I always wash right away), as long as I remember to set the washing machine to "slow" spin.
No, I don't hand-piece, but do some hand quilting and I also (when time permits) hand sew the second side of bindings.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:36 AM

I only hand sew my bindings on the back of my quilts. I enjoy hand quilting still for the quilts I spent a lot of time making.