Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Civil War Quilt >

Civil War Quilt

Civil War Quilt

Old 06-13-2008, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Marcia, sorry I haven't been back to this post, but we are in the middle of a bad flood so my mind hasn't been on quilting. I did do a block last week from Eleanor Burn's book, so I will try to get that posted. (I still think your Civil War quilt is a future museum piece.) WOW! Glad you can join us in the URR project. Do you know what colors you will use yet? Will you make a sampler of all the blocks or a quilt of your favorite block? Can't wait to see what you come up with!
Loretta-I bought two URR books today :D . I think I am going to do a sampler quilt and I thinking about doing it in blues and browns. But, I may change my mind once I get started. Cannot wait to make a block or two-but am in the middle of another project right now.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:08 PM

Loretta-I hope you stay high and dry-I have been watching the news and thinking about all of you in the flood zones..keep us posted and let us know if we can help
Old 06-13-2008, 06:17 PM

Marcia--you and Melissa have inspired me. I just bought patterns and fabrics on-line to make a Civil War quilt for my husband. He liked "Civil War Tribute."

I have soooo muchy to do before I start it, but I'll try to get it done before Christmas. :roll:

You're responsible for the bill when you inspire, right? :wink:
Old 06-13-2008, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
Marcia--you and Melissa have inspired me. I just bought patterns and fabrics on-line to make a Civil War quilt for my husband. He liked "Civil War Tribute."

I have soooo muchy to do before I start it, but I'll try to get it done before Christmas. :roll:

You're responsible for the bill when you inspire, right? :wink:
LOL!!! Maybe between Melissa and I we can afford the bill!! I am tickled you are going to be making a CW quilt too. Let me know if you have any questions about CW fabrics. I have quite the stash and can help with identifying fabrics.

Today I bought 2 books-one is The URR Sampler book by Eleanor Burns. The other is called Hidden in Plain View:A Secret Story of Quilts and the URR by Jacqueline Tobin. I cannot wait to read it and think it is goinh to help me decide which blocks I want to use in my URR sampler quilt. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Hidden-in-Plain-View/Jacqueline-L-Tobin/e/9780385497671/?itm=1
Old 06-13-2008, 07:05 PM

Marcia, are we now "Enablers"? HA! :twisted: I love it!
Old 06-13-2008, 07:06 PM

I have Hidden in Plain View.... haven't read it yet.

I think if you split the bill, ladies, that would be most fair. Good thing Mark's working--he'll have to spend the first paycheck on fabric for his masterpiece. :wink:

I ordered quite a few fabrics tonight. I'm adding mostly red and blue, with a touch of green, gray and gold. For the lights--cream and tan, not white. It'll be very scrappy. I'll need more green, gold, brown, and lights before I'm done. But I have plenty of time.

It's an on-line project since I'm sure the Mennonite shops I usually frequent don't have these fabrics. Dang. Cha-ching.

I chose pieces from Bonnie Blue and here http://www.civilwarfabrics.com/index.html

This will be fun. :D

Do you quilt or bind them any special way, or stick to traditional methods? Since my husband won't know the difference, I'll most likely stick to the usual--machine quilting and double binding.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:20 PM

Karla, I sat here looking at the pattern you got thinking man that looks like a really difficult star. I bet I sat there 2 or 3 minutes before the little :idea: went off. wow talk about a blonde moment! :shock: its on point, tilt my head and its a 9 patch with flying geese star points! I think it is way passed my bedtime!!! :lol: :lol:
Old 06-15-2008, 04:12 AM

Awesome is a great word for your quilt!:))It is!! Love the vintage fabrics and love the Lincoln quote! I'm sure your husband is thrilled w/this gift!! I love reproduction fabrics too!:))Good job and thanks for sharing..Skeat
Old 06-15-2008, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

I love your quilt and the fabrics. That was really special to do that for your DH. I can just picture him trying to snuggle that TALL body under that quilt...now thats love!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:42 AM

love it!!!