Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • frustraited! >
  • frustraited!

• frustraited!

Old 12-03-2010, 05:32 AM

Get some fleece and make blankets, it is on sale in every store in our area. It comes wide and a yard of it makes a nice throw for a child any age. Serge the edges or make a fringe, both look nice and are so cuddly and soft. Fleece comes in solids and many figures, something for everyone.

Carol J.
    Old 12-03-2010, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by mrspete
    A lady at church had sometimes such as you have, and she made little swatches from the intended project and took Christmas Cards and put slits inside page on left and stuck those swatches through the slits. At the signature space she added IOU, God Willing. Now that spoke volumes to me.

Blessings,
    Ruth
    I did this once for a baby afghan that I was going to crochet, had several strands of the yarn and a sample of what was to be done- put it in a card and went to the shower anyway. The afghan was done before the baby arrived and everyone was happy. Sometimes, ya' just can't do it all!!!
    Old 12-03-2010, 05:55 AM

I gave up sewing for each grandchild years ago/ Sometimes someone gets something sewn from grandma at christmas but not often. I did make stockings one year and filled them with caps and mittens etc. but with # 24 and grands on top of that it gets hectic so they usally just get a few little things and they think it is special. Mine run from 24 down to the 25th not born yet so the older ones usually do not get anything at Christmas but get their things made throught the year. They have to stand back and let their little ones get now.
    Old 12-03-2010, 06:08 AM

love the purse and wallet. Are you sure you don't have the pattern?
    Old 12-03-2010, 06:14 AM

I did not have a pattern but looked at some pics of little purses on the net. It is just a rectangle with one edge curve two layers sewn together with flannel for a little body turned quilted and then I sewed up the side seams added a strap and a snap.
    Old 12-03-2010, 06:31 AM

One year I made all my grandkids a Quillow, some still use theirs and they are much older.They love them on cold nights while watching TV
    Pickle
    Old 12-03-2010, 06:43 AM

I feel for you! This is a similar year for us and we all have tiny budgets. Three of my grandchildren got we did Christmas with them already) handmade, personalized stockings, dollar store items and a family gift of coca cola items to add to their collection. The other 6 are getting fleece blankets, personalized with an applique and their name. I bought fireside anti pill fleece when it was half off a year ago for this purpose. Other family members are getting Christmas tree wallhangings, handmade ornaments, etc. Zero dollars except for postage as I am using scraps and supplies on hand for all. PM if you would like patterns. The fleece blankets will be wrapped and tied with ribbon (the kids love to play with it)and a small dollar store toy could be tucked into the ribbon although I am not doing that. Or they could be put into a simple pillow case as mentioned in other posts. Best of luck, think positive, this too shall pass. Soon you get another year to start over (smile). Hang in there. The purses, wallets, gift cards are great ideas and most children would just love them. Not in my budget, nor yours apparently, but something to keep in mind for future such as birthdays.
    Old 12-03-2010, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
    How about little wallets with a couple dollars tucked in them. There are a lot of simple patterns if you do a google search. The little kids think they are in heaven to have a grown up wallet with money in it. I made my grandaughter a simple little purse no pattern and filled it with things from the dollar tree. Pretend cell phone, little makeup mirror, lip gloss.
    I wish I would be your grandchild, so you would make the pretty purse and wallet! Ha,ha!

I love Butterflies!
    Old 12-03-2010, 07:06 AM

Pillow cases! :)
    Old 12-03-2010, 07:11 AM

I have worn my self to a frazzle for so many years thinking I HAVE to make Christmas presents for everyone. Becasue I can and because I do like it. But I finally realized that I do NOT have to make something for everyone. I make a couple, but at the end of the day - kids would much rather have a toy or electronics, men are pretty much happy with tools or sporting equipment. So that leaves a few women in my family - certainly much more do-able and it make the holidays less stressful for me - and those around me who are catching the fallout of my stress!