Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Nine Patch Project >

Nine Patch Project

Nine Patch Project

Old 07-06-2010, 05:49 PM

I finished the Bow Tucks bag for my DD and the dog bed. So on today's agenda was the second dog bed and catching up on 9Ps. What could be easier than to combine the 2 right? Ok so I had scrap flannel hanging around and I decided to use that and try the 4 to 9P, if I messed them up the new puppy won't care. HA! I like them... ALOT! Now what? :? Here are the 12 blocks. I started with 3 1/2" 4Ps. They are now 5 1/2" 9Ps. Wish I had somemore of this flannel around it would make a great quilt!

Flannel 4 to 9P
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81537[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-81532.jpe  
Old 07-06-2010, 05:55 PM

Beautiful block ladies! Dagny...awesome quilts....what is a "pickle dish" quilt?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:31 PM

It's not a very widely known pattern, but is somewhere between a New York Beauty and a Double Wedding Ring. I think it might be one of the old Kansas City News blocks. Mine will be very non-traditional, though. It's not a quilt block for the timid in that there are lots of curved pieces and part of it is paper pieced.

I will do it in preparation for a class I'm going to take in the fall to make a Christmas Pickle quilt, which the owner of my LQS describes as one of the most difficult quilts there is. :XD:
Old 07-07-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dragonfly Nana
Beautiful block ladies! Dagny...awesome quilts....what is a "pickle dish" quilt?
This is what I got done last night. It might give you some sense of what this quilt is about. (Sorry to hijack the thread :oops: )

At the end of each arc (pickle?), there is a square, so four squares come together at each intersection. I think the football-shaped centers might all be done in a unifying color (not sure yet). The rest is background.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-81442.jpe  
Old 07-07-2010, 07:27 AM

Hi Everyone! I have been working on several things and trying to get caught up here.. I have only 12 blocks that were sewn 9 parts and then I have cut them in fours.. I have not gotten them sewn back in the mixed look yet! Once I do I will post those.. lol not sure what I am making with those.. it was a Moda three charm pack.. I have like 6 left of each and all the same in each pack.. not sure what to do with those .. maybe can buy another charm pack and add to the rest. After that I may be just using some scraps making just 9 patch squares. Anyways, just thought I would let you know I am working :)

or maybe this way...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81178[/ATTACH]

Cut 9 patches to be sewn together
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81272[/ATTACH]

Block positioning ... maybe
[ATTACH=CONFIG]81281[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-81173.jpe   attachment-81267.jpe   attachment-81276.jpe  
Old 07-07-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dagny
Originally Posted by Dragonfly Nana
This is what I got done last night. It might give you some sense of what this quilt is about. (Sorry to hijack the thread :oops: )

At the end of each arc (pickle?), there is a square, so four squares come together at each intersection. I think the football-shaped centers might all be done in a unifying color (not sure yet). The rest is background.
dagny,
My, that is going to be some nice block! post once you have added the 4 blocks at the corners! Is this something you made up or a pattern??
Old 07-07-2010, 10:20 AM

I'll post in the picture section when I get a little more done.

It's an old, old pattern. I've got a pickle dish made by my grandmother. This, however, is not going to be my grandmother's quilt! Hers is made of muslin and old house dresses.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:40 PM

got my extra fabric and have it washed and ironed, now to get it cut out :-)
Old 07-10-2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I love how your D9P came out. Just finished one using only red,white and blue.
sewnsew, Can you share a picture? I am thinking of making one in those colors for a fellow going into the service.

Anyone making the D9P, what size squares are you starting with? I think my 2 1/2 squares would be to small and 4 1/2 maybe to big? Thanks[/quote]

I used 6 inch squares for my D9P. Solid navy in 4 corners, solid red in center and the other 4 squares were red and whites - mostly prints - some with stars. Need to learn how to post pics..... sorry
Old 07-10-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I love how your D9P came out. Just finished one using only red,white and blue.
sewnsew, Can you share a picture? I am thinking of making one in those colors for a fellow going into the service.

Anyone making the D9P, what size squares are you starting with? I think my 2 1/2 squares would be to small and 4 1/2 maybe to big? Thanks[/quote]

I used 6 inch squares for my D9P. Solid navy in 4 corners, solid red in center and the other 4 squares were red and whites - mostly prints - some with stars. Need to learn how to post pics.....