Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-wash Fabric to Eliminate Bugs!!! >

Pre-wash Fabric to Eliminate Bugs!!!

Pre-wash Fabric to Eliminate Bugs!!!

Old 07-02-2011, 09:42 AM

There is alot of them in Fla, ask me how I know!
Old 07-02-2011, 09:52 AM

EWWHH!!!
Old 07-02-2011, 09:52 AM

Hate roaches ! I was infested awhile back from a box we brought home from a garage sale.
I sprayed and sprayed and couldn't get rid of them. Then my son was over at a friend's house, which was a pig sty, but no roaches. He used Combat roach houses. I bought some, and put 4 in each room. The next day I found dead roaches all around the houses. I also put some in back of my material stash.
I change the houses out every three months. I marked on the house, in white out, the month I put them out. I don't have roaches anymore!!
Syl
Old 07-02-2011, 10:47 AM

Ihave never had that problem with fabric and hope I never do. However, here in Louisiana since all the floods up north, we are having an infestation of Coyotes. There have been incidences of them killing cats and small dogs. Our police department here has been hunting them at night. A few years ago Louisiana was overrun with Nutria which is bad enough, but Coyotes are dangerous.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

This is a really creepy topic but I appreciate the heads up!
I haven't thought about it but I'm going to be more careful.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by SueSew
My lovely old New England farmhouse is now infested with the Field Cockroach, which is native to Southwest - TX AZ CA areas in particular. they are little brown things which don't mind the light and fly around everywhere.

They like to live outside, I have been told, but of course our house is not air conditioned except by opening windows and doors LOL so it is very like the outside inside.

The bug lady suggested they might have hopped a flight on some fabric I bought recently, as the first sighting was shortly after arrival of the fabric, and it was in my sewing room which is far from food, pets, plants and other live stuff and the windows don't open in there as we haven't put the screens in yet. At least two batches of fabric came from two separate shops in Texas.

So now I'm thinking, here's another good reason to PRE-WASH which of course I had just stopped doing, with great success LOL but the stuff I bought is all fat quarters. And of course I took it out of the plastic so it could 'breathe'.

Has anybody ever heard of this? UGH.
:) :) :)
Hey, Nawth of Boston, I hope you didn't get these buggers from Texas. I live in a part of the state where there are all kinds of creepy crawlies and haven't seen these yet. Yuck!
I'm sure, even though I never prewash, that the fabric would go into the hottest water possible, the hottest drier possible and I would call an exterminator immediately! froggyintexas
Old 07-02-2011, 02:03 PM

I too live in Texas (West) and have never had bugs or roaches in my fabric. However in the very hotest of the summer, you can see roaches or water bugs, outdoors in the grass and they have come onto the patio. A friend who had lived in South Texas told me 30 years ago to be sure to keep the stoppers in the sinks and tub in the summer, because the water bugs live in the sewer and crawl up the pipes, gives me chills just thnking about the nasty things, this was her remedy to keep them out. Get a jar of Boric Acid and some peanut butter use about 2-3 tsps of peanut butter and about 1 tablespoon of BA and mix together, then put a dab of this on an inch or two piece of tin foil and put under cabinet area of sink, and anywhere you think they might be.You need to replace this about every 6 mos. I keep some out on the patio, behind things, near baseboards, under bathroom and kitchen cabinet areas, near hotwater heater, and under washer. So far this has always worked. I don't really measure this and I use a toothpick to stir this up or a popsickle stick and put it on the tin foil. I've never had the little brown roaches, just had those big water bugs and have used this BA & PB ever since.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:15 PM

Yep. Unfortunately they like the glue on boxes too.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:18 PM

Boric acid powder poofed around baseboards, doors, windows, and under your sinks will keep bugs away. Just be careful if you have small children and pets.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:48 PM

be thankful it is not a mice plague - they eat anything including tupperware and nothing worse when you hop in bed at night and put your arm under the pillow and there is one in your bed as well -- Good luck with the roaches