Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oh wow .. am I really this old... >

Oh wow .. am I really this old...

Oh wow .. am I really this old...

Old 07-24-2011, 08:14 PM

I remember them all too --had them all when I was growing up. oldest of 11 and had to wash diapers and all in an old wringer washer that my brother stuck his arm into. he still had the scar on his arm. We had a heck of a time to get it out. Wet clothes on the lines inside during the winter. At least 4 loads of diapers a day as we didn't have disposble ones. mom made all our clothes. we got milk from my uncle on the farm and we got it in 5 gallon pails. yeah, but I am only 61 1/2. Those were good times.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:25 PM

Older than dirt here also but good to remember some times
Old 07-24-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by sassey
guess I am older than dirt but as I was reading it made me think of pant stretchers anyone else remember them? Mom would put the went jeans and mens panta in tthem before hanging on the line to make creases inthe pants and help them dry with less wrinkles.

My grandmother even ironed everyones socks
I still have the pants stretchers but I got rid of the curtain stretchers.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:33 PM

I got, if you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age. I was on the low end so not too bad.

I do remember mom cooking, you ate what was at the table or went hungry, asked permission to leave, and did not have air conditioning until I was 19.

Thanks for the ride down memory lane. :D
Old 07-24-2011, 08:37 PM

I guess I am older than dirt. I remember many more memorable things from way back then.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:40 PM

I'm only twenty three, but I figured I'd throw my two cents in:

I started working at an old-fashioned soda fountain and ice cream parlor that opened up in the town I go to school in. And when I say old-fashioned, I mean we make our PHOSPHATES by hand with a soda jerk and everything :) It's really cool to get older folks in who are all excited that they can get an authentic phosphate (or who even know what they are without me having to explain it!)

A lot of the stuff I see on the list I was also raised with. It's called respect!!! lol
Old 07-24-2011, 08:54 PM

me too. i even remember blocks of ice being delivered for our ice box and the men who hawked fresh veggies from a push cart. wow, i am older than dirt. the cat was outside because there was no such thing as kitty litter.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:44 PM

Oh wow ....I AM really that old. When did that happen?
Old 07-25-2011, 02:46 AM

yep - I remember them all - wouldn't change it for the world....it was the best of times, it was the worst of times...............the kids today are shorted for not living as we had lived..............there was more respect back then, more family values,,,,,,,,,our kids would watch the Bugs Bunny Comedy show on Saturdys..Oh of course, they took it off and replaced it with "adult cartoons" where it teaches disrespect, ridiculing others and everything that permeates our society today.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:06 AM

Experience everyone of them. Thank you! Now all I need to do is find a can of Prince Albert and Velvet tobbacco for the smell. My grandfather used to make his own ciggarettes every Saturday night with his little rolling machine. Then I will go make a hoe cake on a cast iron griddle and burn it just a teanie tiny bit and boil some tea (not in a bag)like my Grandmother used to do. Oh my goodness what a great day this will be! Thanks for sharing!