Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Update on my Quilting Shed >

Update on my Quilting Shed

Update on my Quilting Shed

Old 09-21-2011, 11:28 AM

Congratulations, looks great! What a wonderful idea converting a storage shed like that. Where did you get it?
Old 09-21-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by sylviak
Originally Posted by quiltinghere
Is your batting still folded on the rod?
Yes, it is 90" batting and still folded once.
Thanks - I wonder if anyone stores their batting UNfolded but yet still rolled up.????
Old 09-21-2011, 07:33 PM

I have heard of some that store it on an extra pole under their frame, unfolded, so they can just bring it up and use it as they need it. Not a bad idea if you made your quilts all approximately the same size or could line up several smaller ones to do at the same time.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by mcb1180
Congratulations, looks great! What a wonderful idea converting a storage shed like that. Where did you get it?
We looked at a lot of storage shed places. I wanted a wooden one. We finally found one we liked and they came out and built it on site. We have a smaller storage shed that has held up well that is wooden. We are getting ready to put a "skirting" on the outside before it starts getting cold. I bought a couple of "cool to the touch" electric heaters that I hope will warm the building.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:01 PM

Wow! Great to have so much space. Enjoy!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:21 AM

sylviak, I am amazed at the wonderful job you and your family did, turning this shed into a sewing/quilting shed. I wondered if you are going to put a barn quilt on the outside for all the world to see your love of quilts.

I am going to show my DH the threads you have kept about this subject. He has been having a hard time visualizing what I have asked for as far as a space for sewing.

Thanks for sharing your new space with all of us. :thumbup:
Old 10-12-2011, 07:36 AM

looks great.have fun in there
Old 10-12-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by sylviak
I've finally moved into my own little quilting shed! It's been quite a journey from start to finish, but well worth it. For any who didn't watch the progress: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-103882-1.htm

Here are pictures of the finished area. Parts are not too neat, but I'm already working in it! I hung the batting on the wall using garden hose hangers from Lowes that were about $5 and a piece of electrical conduit that I already had. I folded fabric using the ruler method. I really happy with it and already enjoy spending time there!
Looks great !!!! And soooo organized !
Old 10-12-2011, 08:05 AM

I have added a few other things to the shed: A three-panel room divider that I got for $15 at a used store. I'm covering it with black fleece on one side for a design wall. And if I need a white background, I can always use my batting roll! I also found a small refrigerator that fits under my sewing table to keep cold drinks. DH wanted a recliner, so he could join me and read or use his laptop, so I replaced the rocker with a recliner. It is one that lifts you up to help you get out of the chair and I only paid $20 for it. We don't either one need that yet, but shoot, for $20 in good shape, why not??

I do want to add a quilt block, but just haven't had time to do it. I can pick up a 2' square at Lowes and sand it down, prime it and paint it with exterior paint. Does anyone have any pointers for something to protect the paint and wood from the weather? Is there an exterior polyurethane?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:07 AM

YOu have an awesome quilting space to work in. I love the way you hung the batting. I buy those rolls too and this is a good idea for me. Hope you don't mind me borrowing the idea. Thanks for sharing it with us.