Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charms vs Layer Cakes vs Jelly Rolls vs Fat Quarters.... >

Charms vs Layer Cakes vs Jelly Rolls vs Fat Quarters....

Charms vs Layer Cakes vs Jelly Rolls vs Fat Quarters....

Old 01-13-2012, 05:38 AM

I agree with several who say that pre-cuts are very expensive and for that reason alone, I shy away from them. I have enough of a stash I cut my own.

I have purchased some of Missouri Star Quilt Deal of The Day charms, but it seems I always have a template that I want to from there to add to the order, so it makes it cost effective with their flat rate shipping charge.

When I purchase fabric I'm buying because the fabric has caught my eye and my tastes in fabric designs and colors have changed very little, so my stash is still very appealing to me. Now with fabric prices going sky high ( I wonder when the prices will hit the glass wall and people either will refuse to buy or be priced out of the art of making quilts) I'm so grateful that I have my stash to shop.

I think one of the biggest fears I have is not having enough of a particular fabric to finish a project. So with that 'fear' I've always opted to usually buy one yard more than I anticipate I'll need. Hence, my stash is mostly multiple yards in the 4-5 yard range. I've been known to purchase bolts especially of my favorite Benartex Fossil Ferns.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 01-13-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:48 AM

I love pre-cuts. I buy them frequently. Though I never buy fabric just because I like it. I always have a pattern or project already picked out before buying. That said, I usually will pick up Kona solids to go with the precuts I use and will get maybe a 1/2 yard to a yard more than what I need, just to have around.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:52 AM

I always use yardage. I have never purchased a charm, layer cake, jelly roll and so on. I always thought they were too pricey and I like the scraps for other projects. Oh, occasionally I have purchased fat quarters for small projects that need just a little of a color that I do not have.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 AM

When I buy fabric, I buy yardage. I usually don't buy fat quarters or any pre-cut fabric, unless it is a good deal. Lately, since I am trying to use up stash, I only buy fabric at the resale shop when I can get it at a good price. Just yesterday I bought a small bag of scraps from the thrift store, paid $1 for the bag, but got quite a bit or red fabric which I'll use for scrappy quilts. I really need scraps of white, so if I can find that, I'll buy it.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 AM

I buy yardage, I have never bought charms, jellyrolls, fat quarters. I usually make scrap quilts and buy 1 yard pieces.
This is usually enough for a block or two for the quilt I'm working on and plenty for my stash.
I don't usually buy border fabric or backing fabric until a quilt top is finished. Depending on what the quilt top requires.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
I buy yardage but with a project in mind, plus 1 extra yard. If I am really impressed with the fabric I may 2 or 3 extra yards for future projects. I hate to buy bundles because that is someone else's idea of colors that belong together, not mine. It doesn't feel personal to me.
I do the same...yardage only. There are usually many patterns in the bundles that I would never choose. I really like doing my own color palette.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:56 AM

Mostly I buy yardage. I used to pick up a few fat quarters, until I did the math, and realized I was paying more per yard than I wanted to. I buy on sale. My lqs rarely has a sale, but I love the absolutely cottons at Hancocks fabric. I do have a couple of lqs's down by where my daughter lives, so I will have her go and get me some or I will do it when I am down her way. There is one shop down there that sells really wide backing, I think it is 90" wide and it is I think 6.99 per yard. At that price, it makes it a better deal than paying for the Kona cottons. I pick up the wide and get extra so I can use it in quilt tops as well. I have found this is good quality.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:17 AM

I buy charm packs,fat quarters, 1/2 yd and yardage..... Variety is the spice of life
Old 01-13-2012, 08:18 AM

I buy charm packs, fat quarters, 1/2 yd and yardage..... Variety is the spice of life
Old 01-13-2012, 08:29 AM

I have never bought charm packs, layer cakes or jelly rolls. However I do buy fat quarters and yardage. I just recently started Bonnie Hunter's Orca Bay Mystery. I was determined to use fabric from my stash. Then I realized that I needed more variety in 3 of my 4 color choices. So I added some more - it included fat quarters and yardage. In this case I bought 1/2 yards except of a couple of pieces which I really liked - then I bought 1 yard pieces.

If I am just buying fabric because I like it I will probably buy 1 yard. If it is a piece that might make a great border I may buy as much as 3 yards so that I can cut the long borders as 1 piece.