Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Aprons..do you wear them...have a favorite pattern? >

Aprons..do you wear them...have a favorite pattern?

Aprons..do you wear them...have a favorite pattern?

Old 01-28-2014, 05:57 PM

I LOVE aprons and enjoy wearing them, especially Chef's aprons. My favorite is the one that had the adjustable D ring on one side around the neck. I have even looked down on a quick trip to the grocery store to see that I still had mine on. . . more than once! I like to use something with more body than quilting cottons. A light weight denim or nice light weight twill works best.

My aprons must have pockets (hankies, cell phone, lists, etc.) Actually, anything that has fabric below the waist ought to have pockets, IMHO. Yes, even evening wear! When I was a librarian, more often than not, I had on an apron. It was great for storytelling and library orientation because I had those pockets for all my props! And it made me stand out from the other staff, none of whom wore aprons in the middle and high school.

Also, an apron is the perfect place to try out a new technique, block, embroidery, etc before you make a big investment of your time in something you discover you aren't going to enjoy doing on a larger scale. Also, it may be a technique you love but just never seems to fit anywhere else. One of my aprons has prairie points!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:16 PM

I love aprons, both making them and wearing them. I bought and used a lot of apron patterns. By far the best patterns are those designed by Mary Mulari. My favourite is her Church Lady Apron which is reversible and has pockets.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:03 PM

Default More aprons

We had family over for Thanksgiving, so I made my mom, sis, sis-in-law and myself "church lady" aprons from a pattern by Mary Mulari. It's a quick and easy pattern, and I chose prints that fit everyone's interest.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-28-2014, 07:29 PM

My apron, which I've had for years, is one I bought. Its quilted closely all over, a full apron with two pockets just below the waist, with the loop for the neck and ties in the back. I love that apron like crazy and one of these days when I catch up on my sewing projects I'll make another one out of different fabrics to have choices, as its a simple pattern.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

We both wear aprons....Big drill ones, with heavy tapes (very cheffy), my Mother bought me a handpainted one with beautiful Iris flowers on, pockets are very useful. We use aprons in the kitchen, when washing the dog (different apron so not germy). Anything that's messy. My husband is a magnet for spills and drips.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:34 AM

Just love all of the aprons shown. Have made several for my granddaughters and they just love to cook...only 6 and 8. The aprons make them feel even more special. Guess I should make one or 2 for myself. Penni...just love your story...that's what family time is all about Thanks everyone!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 06:20 AM

I have three bib aprons (still a slob at heart!!!): one is a blue paisley Mom made, one is tan with birds and birdhouses that Mom made (she passed away 6 months ago - 96 years young) and one my neighbor made for me that is a black background with apples, pears, grapes and black raspberries. Love them all. But I think my favorite is the bird one. And in my case, two in the wash one on the hook! We all have a special place to hang them, eh? Mine is on a hook in the hallway going down in the basement, Mom's was on the attic door. Even when I was a kid, it was on the attic door. These will last me the rest of my life, I hope! Edie
Old 01-29-2014, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by gramquilter2 View Post
I don't wear aprons myself but I do make them for everyone. The first one is one I made all the little granddaughters for Christmas. The second one I made for my daughter, it is machine embroidered and quilted. The bottom is actually a blue and white check kitchen towel.
The gingerbread apron is too cute. Can you send me the information on how to get this pattern? Thanks bunches.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:54 AM

I love aprons, so my friends give me aprons as gifts for birthdays, Christmas, etc. I am from TX, so one of my aprons has jalapenos on it. One apron is patriotic for Memorial Day, Fourth of July, or whatever. I love those old fashioned aprons but haven't made any yet. My beloved grandmother always wore aprons, so they remind me of her.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:00 AM

Nice idea.