Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome eating fabric at the beginning . >

Janome eating fabric at the beginning .

Janome eating fabric at the beginning .

Old 02-11-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble View Post
Milli, you got great advice. I have had similar experiences with every machine, from the 1960's Pfaff I learned on, to my Janome today. What everyone says about starting your seams works like a charm. Sometimes just holding your starting threads is all you need to do.
As for the troubles you have sewing over bulky layered seams, using a nice sharp needle in the correct size helps a lot.
If that doesn't do the trick, try using a "hump jumper". It's a little gadget that helps you sew over layers without ending up caught there. Sometimes these are called a "button reed" too, because the tool is used when you sew on a button by machine, to make sure there is a bit of a thread shank under the button.
You just place the hump jumper under the back of your pressor foot so that the foot is no longer climbing up at an angle. This effect can be duplicated by using folded cardboard too. The hump jumper also helps when coming off the layers where you often end up with a skipped stitch. (You reposition it to the front of your pressor foot)

OMGosh!! Thank YOU!! I hemmed a pair of knit pants on my machine (with a knit stitch) and almost everytime II went over the seam it broke my thread. Granted I wasn't using the best thread, but I think it was the angle of the presser foot, not the thread... I need a "hump jumper" or the cardboard you described!!

I just LOVE the QB!
Old 02-11-2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by spaghettimom View Post
My Janome does the same thing- hate it. Worse when you are trying to sew several layers- putting tension on the thread will help, also starting a couple stitches further down the seam and backstitching has helped me. Haven't tried the leader fabric as advised above.- guess you'd just cut it off the finished block? Good luck- I do love my machine other than this problem.
I have learned the same tricks with my Janome. The leader piece is really a good help.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:39 PM

Machines must vary tremendously. One of the things I love about my two Janomes (Jem and 6600) is that they rarely eat the fabric. I never use leaders or enders, but I do chain piece when possible. I had an old Kenmore that had a voracious appetite for fabric. So glad to get rid of that one.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 PM

I have a fairly new Janome and always either hold my thread at the beginning or use a leader. I was taught this over 50yrs ago. Also starting 3-4 stitches from the end and then back sewing helps. I love my Janome
Old 02-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

Using leader and ender strips, scraps of fabric that you sew before you start piecing and again after will help that. Also, it might be helpful to have the single hole platelet, instead of the one used for zig-zag stitching. Just remember to switch back when you want to do any zig-zag work.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
All machines that I've ever sewn on will eat the starting fabric if you don't use a leader, or a straight stitch plate, and/or hold the thread tight when you start. It's just the nature of the zigzag-capable sewing machine. I'm not sure what you mean, though, when you say "sewing over layers." Is that when you're in the middle of a seam and encounter another seam? If it's happening then, the only thing I can think of would be a dull or incorrect needle, like PlanoDebbie mentioned.
I agree. I have a Janome, a 60 year old Kenmore and a 1940's era Singer and all will eat fabric if I start at the absolute edge. What helps is a leader, a new needle, and getting the thread out of the way. froggyintexas
Old 02-11-2014, 04:57 PM

This seems to happen more on my Elna or Singer when I've used the thread cutter on the previous seam--then I either end up with a nest of thread or the fabric gets chewed. any solutions to that, cause I'd love to use the thread cutter when I'm piecing!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:07 PM
mem

My Jem almost drove me crazy doing this. I tried every one of the suggestions that have been made here and nothing helped. Finally a friend suggested that I try a larger/heavier needle and that pretty much solved the problem. Good luck!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:10 PM

This happens to me, too, and I'm not using a Janome. The problem is that the needle is not quite (or just barely) on the fabric and the upper and lower thread make a knot that catches in the feed dogs. Usually the fabric edge is held together by the knot, thus the appearance of 'eating' fabric. If you have long lengths of bobbin and needle thread when you start to sew, it is more likely to happen. Experiment to see the minimum thread length you need to avoid, or at least minimize, the problem.

One of my machines has a thread cutting button that can be used to snip the threads when I'm done sewing a piece or a chain of pieces. I am amazed at how little thread is actually required to begin sewing. On my machine, the snip leaves only about 1.5 inches of thread. If your Janome has a thread cutting button, experiment!

Solutions for eating the fabric have been mentioned in earlier responses - use a leader scrap to start sewing, smaller needle, hold the threads as you start to sew, and, as you guessed from the paragraphs above, make sure you don't have excessive bobbin and needle thread lengths when you start to sew.

Good luck with your new machine!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:18 PM

See my post below. After going through the agony of thread knots and chewed up thread one time too often, I applied my trusty analytic skills, and reached a conclusion, and discussed it in that post.

Of course, that doesn't mean my conclusion is the right one for your machine, but it's worth taking a look at.