Mending-Yuck!

Old 10-18-2016, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
If he isn't happy maybe he would like one of these. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/331718328774932363/
How cute, Tess

When I need to mend the kids pants, that is what I am going to do. And I am not going to tell them I am doing it.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
My goodness, Feather, this is a terrific idea. I've had to patch and repatch knees many times. Will remember this gem of information for the next time.
One mending job I dislike is changing stretched out stitch-down elastics at waistbands.
I used to patch a lot too, then the area around the patch would wear or rip. One day my husband said too bad you can't just put on a new front leg. DUH...I said sure I can. I've replaced them from the bottom all the way to the pocket using the back legs from another worn out pair. You just need enough fabric left to seam on the new fabric. I saved his old jeans & fixed many a pair when he was working. Back leg hardly ever wear out. Lots of good fabric there to do repairs or make other items. I cringed when he'd toss a pair in the trash, LOL.

The worst part of re-doing an elastic waistband is the ripping out part. Todays elastic doesn't last like it did years ago. I make my own comfy pants & shorts from knits, so I do this alot. I use my serger to attach the elastic to the edge of the fabric. I fold it in quarters, pin in place, stretch & serge. Then, using regular sewing machine, I fold the waistband down, pin at seams to keep it straight, stretch & sew.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:00 AM

"Mend" = a nasty 4 letter word.