Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on making a quilt with jeans >

Need advice on making a quilt with jeans

Need advice on making a quilt with jeans

Old 04-08-2010, 07:15 PM

I made a jean quilt once. Cut squares approx 6 inches square.
Sewed bluebonnet fabric underneath the square (right side of bluebonnet fabric to the wrong side of jean) in a star or Texas shape. Carefully cut away the jean fabric 1/4 inch from the stitching line to reveal the bluebonnet fabric beneath. Sewed the squares wrong sides together....clipped the edges so it would fray when washed. Backed with flannel.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-49654.jpe  
Old 04-09-2010, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by LeslieSkelly
You might make a rag quilt. I think denim and flannel work really well for this project. "Yellow Brick Road" pattern looks great with denim or you might try cathedral windows.
I made a rag quilt with denim fabric -- alternating the solid and the striped denim. I didn't put any batting or fabric between the two layers. It really came out nice, and it is HEAVY. All I did was a checkerboard with the solid and the stripe. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:37 AM

I once saw a jean quilt that was more or less a crazy quilt. It was adorable...if I remember correctly, it didn't have embroidery, but the pockets and things made it very interesting.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:16 AM
kpc

I have been saving my boys old worn out jeans for a while to make into a circle jean quilt. I am so glad for this post thanks again
Old 04-09-2010, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the post...my Mom is a seamstress & Quiltmaker and she had someone drop her off a bag full of jeans to mend. Well she doesn't mend jeans...to hard to manipulate the material for her hands..so the person said throw them then...I snatched them up and was trying to figure out what type of quilt to make. I'll be making that circle one for sure...that one looks cool. Thanks for all the posts, I spend a lot of time reading and learning a lot. Haven't posted much myself.....too busy reading them :) sometimes the amount of reading of everything, I could have had 3 more quilts made...lol
Old 04-09-2010, 01:32 PM

I've made a lot of jeans quilts. The first one I made was with 6" squares. I had just gotten a new embroidery machine. I embroidier on the blocks to test our my machine. I backed it with DH's old flannel shirts. I've made tons of raggy quilts as gifts. I made a circle jean quilt and swore I'd never do it again and then made another on for my BF. The latest one I made was a log cabin with 2 1/2" logs with red, black and white jeans. I posed it a couple of weeks ago under "Look what I made" (I think)
Old 04-09-2010, 10:55 PM

I made several jean quilts to keep in the car. They are great for the trunk or the back of a SUV fold along back and unfold when you open the trunk and let it hang down to protect your clothes as you put your groceries etc in the back. You don't get dusty or muddy and they are easy to wash. Here is a picture of one I done for my grandaughter for her Ford Escape. it is blue jean, a strip of black denim and a center strip of printed denim and backed with a dollar store fleece 50 x 60 blanket on sale for $3.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Debbie1219
Originally Posted by tigger5464
Check my avatar pic out...I did this blue jeans quilt..no batting or backing...6 inch circles...with 4 inch squares of scrap fabrics in the center of the circles. Super easy to do and even with no batting or backing...super heavy. My DS absolutely loves it. :D
If there is a way to enlarge the avatar, would someone let me know, otherwise, could you post a larger picture tigger5464?
Thanks to everyone for all these ideas and tips.
I wasn't able to post a pic but if you go to my PDA and check out page 6 you will see pics of the jean quilt that is in my avatar. Hope that this helps you out....my quilt is the circle jeans quilt...it was easy to do but very time consuming. And now my DS's expect me to make another. :D Not sure if I want to yet or not. The one that I did make is 400 six inch circles :D I took all the jeans apart, ripped out all the stitching and all that was left were the zippers and waist bands. I even used the pockets of Levi's for the 4 inch squares for the center of the quilt. Hope that this helps you decide what pattern to choose. :D
Old 04-11-2010, 04:22 AM

Please what is PDA? Cannot figure that one out an would love to see the pics.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:04 AM

Just figured it out myself ladybug. It's Personal Diaries and Announcements, a section under Quilter's Forum.