Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Baby spitting up/projectile vomit.  what to do???  help please. >

Baby spitting up/projectile vomit. what to do??? help please.

Baby spitting up/projectile vomit. what to do??? help please.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:16 AM

I haven't seen this asked yet: is he gaining weight at an acceptable rate?

My 2nd son has a severe dairy allergy and was able to nurse after I removed all dairy from my diet. However, he still spit up what seemed like more than he was taking in. Every feeding. But he was fine medically and was gaining well, even though it was hard to believe that any stayed in him at all. If your baby is gaining well, just be patient (I know it's hard). And keep lots of burp cloths on hand. I don't think I was ever without one in all my waking hours with my son.

As others have mentioned, allergy testing could be a very good idea. Dairy and soy are among the top 8 allergens.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Banned

You might want to find a good chiropractor to have a look at him. They can help with this within a week or two...sometimes even the first visit, but usually by 3.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Cyn

Hugs and prayers to you!
Old 11-29-2010, 12:46 PM

I know this is a silly question, but have you tried stirring not shaking when mixing the formula-less air this way, also try a different bottle type-DGD had to have one that looks like a straw is inserted in the bottle to help with hers
Old 11-29-2010, 01:41 PM

Doesn't it at least make you feel better that you're not alone? Looks like many moms have had to deal with this scary situation. Someday you'll be the one telling about how you handled this.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by sew cornie
I haven't seen this asked yet: is he gaining weight at an acceptable rate?

My 2nd son has a severe dairy allergy and was able to nurse after I removed all dairy from my diet. However, he still spit up what seemed like more than he was taking in. Every feeding. But he was fine medically and was gaining well, even though it was hard to believe that any stayed in him at all. If your baby is gaining well, just be patient (I know it's hard). And keep lots of burp cloths on hand. I don't think I was ever without one in all my waking hours with my son.

As others have mentioned, allergy testing could be a very good idea. Dairy and soy are among the top 8 allergens.
He is gaining weight, but not at the rate he should be. He's gaining about 1/3 of what he should. The peditrician said he was okay, we'd get it figured out, but I just feel like I don't have the option to be patient anymore. Some have suggested probiotics and I'm thinking about trying that. I called the doctor (second doctor so far) to see what his thoughts are, I just want to make sure there isn't a reason to NOT give him probiotics.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by pstoner
I know this is a silly question, but have you tried stirring not shaking when mixing the formula-less air this way, also try a different bottle type-DGD had to have one that looks like a straw is inserted in the bottle to help with hers
NO, I haven't tried stirring, but I will. Can't hurt right? I have tried different bottles, but not the ones with the straw in them. I tried Avent, that' has some kinda of extra ring that supposed to help with gas, etc, but I'll try the bottles too. At this point, I'll try just about anything that seems safe.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:02 PM

A little later add a tiny bit of smushed fresh banana to his food. That is also a weight gainer.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:03 PM

Goats milk helped my Cheryl
Old 11-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Kas

We put the gas drops right into the bottle as we were making it. Our oldest was the toot king! But I think feeding smaller amounts more often and have him sitting up for at least 1/2 hour after feeding will help. One of my old Navy wife friends had a daughter with the flapper valve problem. She outgrew it, but she went through a whole lot of urp rags each day.