Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Another no template quilt block idea >

Another no template quilt block idea

Another no template quilt block idea

Old 05-27-2011, 06:20 AM

Wow thanks a lot.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:54 AM

THANK YOU-THANK YOU--Your ideal is wonderful. I've started a quilt, but will give your ideal a chance for me to try. I made a quilt--called "Dizzy Geese" in which the flying geese went around a star in a circle. The other quilt , I started, I'll eventually, get done. And I want to do the dizzy geese quilt in solid colors this time. Thank you for your ideal. Don-isewman
Old 05-28-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by isewman
THANK YOU-THANK YOU--Your ideal is wonderful. I've started a quilt, but will give your ideal a chance for me to try. I made a quilt--called "Dizzy Geese" in which the flying geese went around a star in a circle. The other quilt , I started, I'll eventually, get done. And I want to do the dizzy geese quilt in solid colors this time. Thank you for your ideal. Don-isewman
Hi Don, your quilt sounds real interesting, have you posted a picture yet? I made a bunch of the geese with a real scrappy look and turned them in to an Ohio Star quilt. I think geese blocks is one of the most versitile patterns. It is like having a stack of two by fours standing by when you are building a house. Ah quilts, so many patterns, so little time.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:01 AM

Hi Don, your quilt sounds real interesting, have you posted a picture yet? I made a bunch of the geese with a real scrappy look and turned them in to an Ohio Star quilt. I think geese blocks is one of the most versitile patterns. It is like having a stack of two by fours standing by when you are building a house. Ah quilts, so many patterns, so little time.[/quote]

Hi Kellen, have you posted a picture of your quilt? I didn't think I wanted to try a flying geese but I am changing my mind.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Beginner10
Hi Don, your quilt sounds real interesting, have you posted a picture yet? I made a bunch of the geese with a real scrappy look and turned them in to an Ohio Star quilt. I think geese blocks is one of the most versatile patterns. It is like having a stack of two by fours standing by when you are building a house. Ah quilts, so many patterns, so little time.
Hi Kellen, have you posted a picture of your quilt? I didn't think I wanted to try a flying geese but I am changing my mind.[/quote]

here it is, you will see I used the process of sewing triangles from squares for the center as well as the geese. I chose squares from a big box of 5" sample squares I have been using up for ages....can't remembereber how many quilts I have made from that box...whew! I just chose lots of blues and purples and all the lights I could find and scraped them up together. It makes a nice size lap quilt as each block worked out to about 11" finished. Not easy peasy but not hard either definitely better than cutting out tons of squares and such. Sort of my work was done for me with the 5" square already cut.

I am getting better at doing machine quilting too I think
[ATTACH=CONFIG]203485[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-203479.jpe  
Old 05-28-2011, 06:52 PM

WOW...Love your quilt...thank-you for posting the pic.
Looks like I will have to try my hand doing one like this after all.
This board is great with so many talented people.
Everyone have a great Memorial Day Weekend.:)
Old 05-29-2011, 07:24 PM

Gee thanks, always looking for something simple to make.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:38 PM

Of all the tuts I have seen of flying geese, this is by far the easiest. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:42 AM

thank you , it looks pretty easy!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:23 AM

Very similar to Jodi Barrows "Square in a Square" method..there are many many ways to get there. While practicing last week I came across Pam Bono's method. Her method takes the bulk out of the seams. Its always amazing how one little thing changes things. I haven't tried the Quilt in a Day method yet..but it is on my list to compare. I ran across a book I bought a few years ago called "Fast Flying Geese Quilts" by Karin Hellaby. Looks fun!