Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Who sews things besides quilts? >
  • Who sews things besides quilts?

• Who sews things besides quilts?

Old 06-05-2011, 04:50 AM

I do clothes for my great niece, curtains, crafts, whatever I feel like doing or need at the time.
    Old 06-05-2011, 05:04 AM

This past year I have made a lot of cloth diapers for my 15 month old grandson, wetbags to put them in, wool diaper covers and leather shoes for his wide little feet.

Cloth diapers aren't like they were when my kids were little. The ones that I made are lined with minkee, microfleece or suedecloth. Some have very cute "waterproof" fabrics on the outside that will keep the wetness in. They are fitted & sized. I used a type of velcro to close them when I made the first ones, but then graduated to snaps. They also have elastic at the waist & legs.

The wetbags are lined with the "waterproof" fabric.

The wool covers are made from recycled sweaters. Some were long pants, but most are short & just cover the diaper.

The shoes are made from recycled leather coats.

I also made some very cute luggage tags for me & my traveling friend for our trip to Washington & Alaska. I used green batiks for me & blue for her. I closed them with diaper snaps.

I made reusable "paper" towels out of flannel & wool dryer balls for Christmas gifts. The towels had snaps on opposite sides & a plastic canvas core so they could be rolled up. The dryer balls were made from recycled sweaters.

These diapers have the "waterproof" fabric on the outside. The edging is a foldover elastic.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]206932[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-206924.jpe   attachment-206926.jpe  
    Old 06-05-2011, 05:05 AM

Besides mending and alterations at the shop, my wife sews most things for the house décor, and has made a great deal of her own clothing over the years. She usually altered the clothing that she bought, and still does today. She made most of the clothes for our three kids when they were young, and western shirts for me and one of our sons when he got older and the MoBetta shirts came out. The other son didn’t dress western, and I don’t recall her making many of his clothes since he was young. I guess he had outgrown “homemade clothes”. Although, she did make 32 floor-length table cloths for his wedding a couple of years ago. She made dressy work outfits for our grown daughter a few years ago while she was working in a bank. The list goes on and on, including camping gear bags out of old denim jeans, motorcycle tank bibs out of vinyl, vinyl boot bags, parade costumes for the whole family and of course, quilts.

Other than piecing quilt blocks from time to time, I mend and hem denim jeans, cut and sew old tarps into smaller fitted covers for outdoor use, repair boat and truck covers, and do other general mending and repairs to “guy stuff”. I even had to break out the soldering iron a couple of weeks ago to repair the buckles on a pair of bib overalls. (I’m still waiting to see how that holds up.)

I designed and made a few cotton picking sacks out of new cotton duck for our local museum for their Seed to Sew program (school kids get to pick cotton and see their cotton go through the process of ginning, spinning, and sewing), and I designed and made a bimini top for a friend’s boat out of Sunbrella.

CD in Oklahoma

Cotton Picking Sack
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]206926[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-206920.jpe  
    Old 06-05-2011, 05:05 AM

(Another doublepost) Sorry.

CD in Oklahoma
    Old 06-05-2011, 05:22 AM

I just finished a new table cloth and placemats. I have 2 summer blouses cut out too.
    Old 06-05-2011, 05:28 AM

Spent 25 years as a professional sewing custom clothing, home fashions and then bridals. Now I sew for my home, daughter's home,4 grandchildren (wearables, their bedrooms, including 6 AG and DG dolls) and I quilt. I also embroidery - both machine and hand - and crochet.
    Old 06-05-2011, 05:48 AM

I make dresses for my granddaughter, window treatments, pillows, and clothes for me and my daughter. Quilting is my passion!
    Old 06-05-2011, 05:52 AM

I probably do more sewing than quilting. Make all my husbands, 2 grandsons, and granddaughter's husbands boxers. The little grandchildren have pillowcases for every holiday. All four grandchildren have quillows. Always have two or more projects going. I do like to make quilted items (usually smaller items, like baby quilts, hotpads, tablerunners, etc.)
    Barbara
    Old 06-05-2011, 06:16 AM

I make all of my nightgowns. I love them to the floor and have never found one that does so I make my own. I cross stitch, do some fabric painting and hand sew Baby bonnets, bibs, and burpcloths.
    Old 06-05-2011, 06:19 AM

I used to make all my own clothes, clothes for family members, lots and lots of costumes, doll clothes, and home dec items. Now that I'm going to be a grandma for the first time, I am delving into the world of cute little baby clothes. Fun!