Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Board Problems >

Cutting Board Problems

Cutting Board Problems

Old 08-25-2011, 01:16 PM

Mine is very, very "groovy" on the left end. I'm going to turn it around and use the other end; I have marked the inches with Sharpie so they're correct. Maybe I can get a couple more years use out of this one...and the next one will be bigger. I have used the 18" x 23" since they were invented and I'm ready for a bigger one.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cupcake1
Hi
Our Walmarts in Georgia have gone back to carrying fabric on bolts and a lot of quilting supplies. I understand that all Walmarts are going to be the same.
SIGH.....I live in Metro Atlanta and am just waiting..... I love the $2.44 a yard fabrics for trying out new blocks!
Old 08-25-2011, 02:27 PM

You are all brilliant people with all of the wonderful suggestions and ideas. Bravo. Hug

Helen
Old 08-25-2011, 03:50 PM

no suggestion but my bubbled up on me and i gave a lot for it and i don't know why but i do know that you can get the one that heal them self's i know they are a lot also maggied
Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 PM

Somewhere on this board it has been said how to renew your board by soaking it in water .Help anyone know what i am talking about. LOL. I don't have a bathtub so I have not tried this as of yet I am trying to figure out a way to soak it. :mrgreen:
Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 PM

Somewhere on this board it has been said how to renew your board by soaking it in water .Help anyone know what i am talking about. LOL. I don't have a bathtub so I have not tried this as of yet I am trying to figure out a way to soak it. :-D
Old 08-25-2011, 06:20 PM

Several montha ago I posted advice from a manufacturers Rep who said that to keep your mat in good condition for longer periods to soak them in warm water(in a bathtub) for about thirty to fortyfive minutes and then hang them to dry. This can be done every few months and by renewing the moisture it helps the selfhealing to take place. You can use just a few drops of dish soap if you wish but it is not necessary. I do an occasional scrub, dry, with a plastic scrubby like you use on coated cookware. This removes any fibers trapped in cuts on the mat when there is a lot of fiber in cloth or batting. I tried to turn the mat over when cutting batting butkept forgetting.
The Rep also said you could straighten your bumpy mats somewhat by placing them on a cement sidewalk or driveway early in the day in a place that will receive sunshine later in the dayand let it absorb heat and leave it there till the sun went down and then it should be usable again. Hope this helps you/
Old 08-26-2011, 05:52 AM

First, thanks to whomever for the hint about soaking in vinegar/water, etc.-I wonder if that will work for the mats used with fab cutting die machines-talk about grooves in mats wow, is all I can say there.
If your rotary cutter is missing while cutting, maybe the blade has a nick in it and needs to be replaced...I find that is my problem when that happens.....just another thought on the subject.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:57 AM

forgot to give an idea on "cleaning" mats....I have a plastic scouring pad (?) nearby that I use to wipe down mat with occasionally...especially when cutting flannel....seems to get the linties that might accumulate in the tiny cuts on the mat. I'm going to try the wet bath towel on a small mat I have to see what happens...experiment time......
Old 08-26-2011, 05:59 AM

Jane- there IS a solution to your problem- buy a better board, dont just go to Joanns and buy one, get a creative mark artists cutting mat from jerrysmatarama.com, the are less expensive, 3 times as thick, i just bought one, but my mat from joanns was wearing out too, doesnt matter what size you get, the big one is only 34$. ill never buy another mat from joanns thats for sure, i got a 24x36 and it weighs 5 pounds!! and with a better board, you will have longer blade life too.
good luck,
katz