Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • serger? >
  • serger?

• serger?

Old 10-02-2011, 02:08 PM

I'VE HAD MY BABYLOCK IMAGINE FOR 11 YRS. AND USE IT FOR EVERYTHING I CAN. I USE IT TO MAKE MOST OF MY QUILTS, SEWING SQUARES TOGETHER AND DEFINITELY THE BORDERS.
    IT'S SO MUCH FASTER THEN MY REGULAR MACHINE AND TRIMS THE SEAMS AT THE SAME TIME.
    IF YOU MAKE BOO BOO'S IT HELPS TO KNOW HOW TO TAKE THE STITCHES OUT FAST......I LOVE THIS MACHINE.
    Old 10-02-2011, 02:11 PM

OH YES I'VE MADE HUNDREDS OF NAPKINS WITH THE ROLLED EDGE HEM AND HAVE USED THE FLAT LOCK STITCH TO MAKE SEVERAL SCRAP FLEECE BLANKETS.....ALSO USE IT WHEN I MAKE THE BURRITO ROLL PILLOW CASES.
    Old 10-02-2011, 02:54 PM

I never knew I needed a serger before reading this thread. Thanks for all the great info.
    Old 10-02-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by winia
    What do you use your serger for? I have one and would
    love to use it other than every now and then, but I don't
    know what to use it for that I can't use a regular sewing
    machine to make.
    Sergers are great for making t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc. Can make the sleeves on the sweatshirts tight so they don't stretch out. At least that's part of the demo I received when looking at sewing machines.
    Old 10-02-2011, 03:01 PM

I have this one as well and love it. Just wish I had the time to really get into it and learn it all...have done rolled stitches and 2,3 and 4 thread stitching with it...have yet to do any 5 thread stitching with it, but it's a dream and EASY to thread and to clean!
    Old 10-02-2011, 04:07 PM

I am on my second one! The first was fine but my second one I purchased on Ebay after I saw one like it at a sew-in. It is a Babylock Imagine. It is fabulous! It has a unique self threading feature that makes it so easy to thread! I highly recommend spending the money on it. I have been very happy with how easy it is to use and to change the stitching from 3 to 4 thread or from narrow to wide etc. It is great.
    Old 10-02-2011, 04:26 PM

I've always loved everything Viking, but the babylock threading feature is tempting. If quilting is your passion and you do little other types of sewing, a serger might not be for you. I gave my DIL my old Viking 4 thread when I upgraded awhile back. She didn't know what they were or how to use one, now she can't imagine life without one; however, she has four small children and doesn't quilt at all. It's a lifesaver for straight seems on clothing, ruffling, gathers, rolled edges etc. I wouldn't be without one either, but quilting is a small percentage of my sewing. Maybe you could borrow one from a friend and see how you like it.
    Old 10-02-2011, 04:46 PM

When we say self threading we are usually talking about different things. What is important to me is the fact that my new Bernina serger is much easier to guide the thread through the places where each thread has to go. My first simplier machine would drive me crazy if I accidently let one of the "loopers" run out of thread. It required unthreading all four spools and starting over in a specific sequence or it wouldn't work at all. My newer machine lets you just reroute and thread the one thread that has run out or broken without having to start from scratch. I usually just tie on when I want to change colors.
    Old 10-02-2011, 04:54 PM

I have 2 Euro Pro, one a thread and the other a 4 thread. I love them both. I bought them from Fingerhut. Very reasonably priced. They came with all the feet. The four thread has differencial feed. The only thing is you have to thread them manually but I have never had a problem doing that. I usuallyjust time new thread on to the old thread and pull threw.
    Old 10-02-2011, 05:02 PM

I have the Viking Huskylock 910 serger. I love my machine!