Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Handmade ornaments >

Handmade ornaments

Handmade ornaments

Old 12-21-2011, 10:31 AM

those are all so nice! what a lot of work you put into your ornaments!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:34 AM

I love handmade ornaments. When I first got married we had no decos for our first Christmas so I decided to make some ornaments out of felt and beads. I made up the patterns and beaded and stuffed them. I guess there were about 30 of them. That was 41 years ago. Every time I suggest changing the theme of the tree my husband says "no way". Even the kids are on his side with this one. It is the home made things that have special meaning because there was love in the process of making them. You did a wonderful job on all of your ornaments and they will warmly recall memories each time you take them out. Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:42 AM

What beautiful work and lovely trees.
You have an eye for beauty.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by ljs317 View Post
Get the heck out of Hallmark! Your ornaments put theirs to shame! Really really beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lisa
Lisa, you just about made me fall off my chair laughing - thanks. The amazing thing is that the first Hallmark ornament I ever received was a gift, a miniature one that was a soldier with a thimble for a hat. It was cute and I did collect thimbles so it was a very thoughtful gift. My honest feeling though was that it just did not compare to a handmade ornament. It was the second in a series I learned later but that did not get me to go into the Hallmark store to buy more until the sixth in the series came out and then I did go in every year after to get the current one in the series but I never bought any others. Then for some strange reason someone told me that Hallmark was starting a Holiday Barbie ornament series (1993) and I for sure should go in and buy the first one because some day it would be quite valuable (we shall see - haha) I never had a barbie doll as a kid (I was 10 when she was born) but for some reason I did think that the ornament was pretty and that started it all for me. Soon after I started hitting the after Christmas sales at Hallmark and now I have lots of them and the quality has improved tremendously and I am kinda really loving some of them especially the sewing related ones, Barbie, Madam Alexander, and a few others. I think it is another addiction just like fabric, baskets, sewing tools etc. All in all I still much prefer a handmade ornament any day.
Attached Thumbnails pics-mimi-xmas-trees-quilts-003.jpg   pics-mimi-xmas-trees-quilts-038.jpg   pics-mimi-xmas-trees-quilts-039.jpg  
Old 12-21-2011, 12:49 PM

Default ornaments,

Originally Posted by char634w View Post
When I first got married 33 years ago I decided to make a batch of ornaments and then each year I made more until I discovered Hallmark. The hand embroidered ones at the top of the first tree were made using a Vogue pattern and the felt ones at the bottom were also from another pattern but probably Simplicity (honestly can't remember that long ago). One year I was into cross stitching, then smocking and eventually I tried to do crazy quilting and went crazy with all the heart ones, table runner, tree skirt, bear and stockings...
More to come keep watching.
Love you angel, stocking and other crazy quilt ornaments. Love the bear! I used to do Crewel work and esp love this. Great job.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:58 PM

My goodness. You were busy! They are beautiful. The embroidered ones reminded me of scandanavian designs--very beautiful, as are the rest. I don't think you need to shop at Hallmark.....yours are better.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:56 PM

Thanks for sharing your lovely work. It's amazing how interests evolve.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:22 PM

Absolutely gorgeous, you have done an awesome job, thank you for sharing
Merry Christmas
Old 12-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Banned

oh my...these are so HOT right now...and I love them all...you can keep Hallmark, send me these!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:41 PM

Love them all but my favorites are the teddy bear, stocking and angel - great works of handcrafts. Truly heirlooms!