Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is It Just Me, Or..... >

Is It Just Me, Or.....

Is It Just Me, Or.....

Old 02-26-2014, 07:34 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

You are not alone. I am evolving tho! I used to never use patterns; just wing it was my motto. ok, that did teach me to slow down, look at colors/hues and I mastered the 1/4 in seam. And then I began using patterns and having all the math done for me was like hearing angels sing! So I now either use a pattern or go to QUILTERS CASCHE and find a block or 2 that I like (and they do the math) and sketch it out and go to town! The math part was kicking my patience level out of the sewing room. Give a pattern that you aren't comfortable with a chance. give yourself extra time; but not so o o much time that you set it aside thinking "oh, I'll come back to that one" A cheer just went up from us gals here on the board-you can do it!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:14 PM

Many patterns just look really difficult, but if you break them into parts, they aren't so hard. I do a lot of PP and many patterns look so complicated. But many are based on diamonds or squares, so in the end you are really just making 8 diamonds or multiple squares.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:43 PM

As I read your remarks I can't help but think...That is me!!!! I mean, I don't care if I am quilting, sewing, knitting, etc. it is all the same. I have the pattern or at least the idea in my brain, showing me what I want to accomplish. Then, just dive in with both feet...don't "wait until you are a little more accomplished, know what you are doing,etc." (A frequent quoteI remember from my childhood) Now, as an adult, I pi ck up the pattern (or the draft ) and read step 1, complete that, then step 2 ,etc. until whatever I was "making" is completed. It may not be perfect, but at least I have put forth the effort to try and I have learned something new. However, sometimes it turns out to be better than what I was expecting!!! and that is a pleasant surprise. The bottom line is: Just start, slowly and step-by-step; before long it will be complete.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:30 PM

Just remember most quilts are straight sewing. I use to think to that I could not do the more difficult quilts. But after I decided that they were just straight seams I got more comfortable in doing them. I don't buy many patterns if I can find them on the internet or go to the library , I also have gotten so I can look at a picture of a quilt and figure out the pattern. NOT all the time tho. You will get there to. Just remember its only straight sewing and you can do them. I use to worry that all my blocks didn't match at the corners and I was driving myself nut. Than I had a lovely lady tell me that........ You cant see spot on a galloping horse. And after that if my corners are off some I don't worry about it. We are all human and not perfect. Its the love that goes into the quilt that counts. Don't think of a quilt as difficult or easy to do. Just think I would like to make that and try it. GO FOR IT. happy quilting
Old 02-26-2014, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by youngduncan View Post
I've reached the point where I, too, can look at a finished quilt and pretty much figure out what the individual units are. It does take some of the magic out of the whole process, and I find that when I do begin a new quilt pattern (whether printed, from the internet, or even in a class) once I get the block idea down, I'm really ready to move on to something else. Yes, I like the idea of having a project over and done with, but I've certainly managed to accumulate a lot of PIGS, PHDs, UFOs, or whatever you might want to call them. SIGH!! One of these days I'll make myself get to work on all these, right?
My first thought after reading your messages is that perhaps you would like to make sampler quilts. Since they are made of different blocks, you can make up a nice quilt by putting your blocks together even if there is only one. You can use lots of different fabrics or keep the in the same colorway or fabric patterns. Just an idea to maybe inspire you to get those PIGS, PHDs, UFOs, etc. into a usable, beautiful object. Good luck. Post pics when you get them done!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak View Post
Howdy y'all :c)

I have looked at a lot of the pics on here and in the quilting magazines, and for many of them I have thought, "WOW! That's way beyond my skill level!" But here lately, whenever I look at one of those advanced pics, I can see exactly how it was done and think I could probably do it. Then I think, "WOW! That's WAAAYYYYY beyond my patience level!" So does anyone else do this, or am I just the laziest quilter around? LOL!

Donna
Donna,
You're hilarious! LOL! I feel the same way.