Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Arggh Spray Starch!! >

Arggh Spray Starch!!

Arggh Spray Starch!!

Old 11-01-2015, 03:17 AM
Vat

I use Sta-Flo starch (found at Walmart mixed half with water) and don't have any problem but I spray it , let it dry , then iron.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:32 AM

I'm old enough that I used to make and cook starch on the days laundry was to be done. The above cook method was used. I think we have moved beyond the cooking method and commercial starch is available. I steer clear of the spray because of the overspray and the propellant-it can't be good for anyone's lungs. You should not store starched fabric for any length of time-it seems to invite chewing friends in some climates. So, make your starch, dip the fabrics you plan to use in it, roll it up for a while, iron it. When you are finished with the project dip remaining fabric in water (I put it it in a mesh bag an put it in the washing machine) and put it away for the next project.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
So, make your starch, dip the fabrics you plan to use in it, roll it up for a while, iron it. When you are finished with the project dip remaining fabric in water (I put it it in a mesh bag an put it in the washing machine) and put it away for the next project.
This doesn't quite make sense. You have to dry the fabric after it has been dipped into the starch solution. Then it gets sprinkled, rolled and let set for a while to even out the moisture before ironing. And if you read the last sentence, I surely don't understand that.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:53 AM

Try Best Press Starch in a hand spray bottle from Hancock's. It can be purchased in unscented, and it leaves no residue. It would be so much easier than hand starching. It also might help to use a mask such as a medical mask or even one such as can be purchased for such tasks as mowing the lawn
Old 11-01-2015, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
This doesn't quite make sense. You have to dry the fabric after it has been dipped into the starch solution. Then it gets sprinkled, rolled and let set for a while to even out the moisture before ironing. And if you read the last sentence, I surely don't understand that.
Maybe quilterpurpledog is recommending that the remaining fabric (i.e., that isn't going to be used for the project) be washed out to remove the starch and its attractiveness to insects. It's unclear to me too.

Am I the only one who thinks simmering a pan of water on the stove for a few minutes and letting it cool isn't a big hassle? Maybe there's something wrong with my perspective, but buying multiple spray cans and then having to dispose of them, gummy starch everywhere, wearing a mask, residue on the iron and brown discoloration seem like more of a nuisance to me.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:11 AM

I use the Stayflo mixed with water and put it in a Niagra pump bottle. I use it for all my work blouses and dresses, since they are either cotton or linen. Partially because my tummy is a dirt magnetic and I've discovered that it helps keep them from staining. The soak method was the way to go prior to spray bottles.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

I don't starch heavy. Like before I only make enough for the task at hand. I spray lightly and let it sit for a short time only while I spray the rest. Then go back and iron the first piece then the rest in order. If after ironing the pieces, I don't have enough time to get right back to them, I put them into the project box or a sealed container of some sort and label it. If it's sealed you don't have to worry about any bugs. Since I don't use dryer sheets when prewashing I don't worry about the bias much. That is why don't heavily starch any fabric. When I dilute the starch, it's usually an ounce of Sta-Flo to 4ounces of water if that much.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Am I the only one who thinks simmering a pan of water on the stove for a few minutes and letting it cool isn't a big hassle?
The only way I starch is by picking up a can or bottle and spraying the fabric.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
How interesting. We'll make a note of that.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
That's hilarious! And exactly the way I starch fabric too!