Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
moving >

moving

moving

Old 01-02-2017, 11:29 AM

take it with you in your car!!! we moved back & forth across the continental United States for years ..every few months to once a year ..every moved done by husbands' employer. we have used every moving company out there, some twice ..no choice of movers, the employer chose the moving company ..every time. and every time something else was broken ..from hubby's great grandmothers cabbage leaf bowl to my vintage rocher gas cook stove ..everytime there was the snarky remark "don't worry! you know ******* (a large multinational construction company) will replace it!"

my last move i packed everything myself and hired my own choice of movers ...the company had changed their moving policy (probably tired of so many millions spent in insurance claims for broken treasures over the decades) and was sending a check for amount they estimated cost would be from point of origin to new jobsite. the only thing that happened on that move was at recieving end ..my favorite 13' extension ladder went missing ..i blame the hubby for that ..he just doesn't pay attention ..gets involved with the "guys talkin' " thing!
Old 01-02-2017, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
I would trust the movers with your machine if it's packed in its original box along with all the original packing materials. After all, it was delivered by the manufacturer without being damaged.
product shippers don't drop & kick things the way movers do
Old 01-02-2017, 06:53 PM

Moving companies don't always have professional movers doing the loading and unloading. Years ago we moved to a small town and the driver of the moving truck stopped at the fire station and hired off duty firemen to unload my belongings
Old 01-02-2017, 07:54 PM

We had several company moves with professional movers, always trusted the movers, only had a few minor problems (a broom was lost) but never any problems with sewing machines, and by the last move I had several machines, including a tol.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
I've had movers damage stuff in a cross-country move as well but I still let them take care of my DSM. My most expensive machine was a grand, which is a ton of money to me, but still less than the medical bills should I injure myself while moving it myself, and it's a common machine so it's easily replaceable. Your mileage may vary. I trimmed our hedges myself and severely injured both my wrists several years ago, it would have been less money and a whole lot less suffering to have a landscaper. See my point?
I guess it depends on how fit you are and how carefully you pack and carry your machine. Even my Bernina which is my heaviest machine is not too heavy for me to carry up and downstairs and in and out of the car. If it was, she could always have someone put it in and then take it out at the other end. Injury from lifting 30 lbs is pretty unusual as is unjury from trimming bushes. I usually go with the odds.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:52 PM

I can't speak from experience -- I've never been moved by a commercial mover. Of course, by the same token, I've never had anything smashed, broken or destroyed. When my son and I travel from Florida to Arkansas to visit family, we take our computers, but they are always covered with something -- blankets, etc. If you are uncomfortable with having the movers move your machine, I say take it with you. I've heard too many bad things about movers -- some are very good -- some not so good! Be comfortable with your move -- take your machine with you.