Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Who sews things besides quilts? >
  • Who sews things besides quilts?

• Who sews things besides quilts?

Old 06-05-2011, 06:34 AM

I used to sew for my kids when they were little, and for myself, and many, many gifts over the years. Never had the opportunity to take any sewing classes when I was young. Learned to quilt many years ago, but drove myself crazy, because I was such a perfectionist, but still loved it.

I hadn't sewn for a long time, not sure why, but got back into it last fall when a dear friend was diagnosed with cancer. I made her a quilt to keep her warm while she was going through treatments. And I always have repair work going because my daughters are incredibly busy.

Then, I realized I would probably only have one granddaughter, who wanted an American Girl doll. I found a good used one which was more in my budget, and started making doll clothes, with the ultimate plan of using them as a catalyst to teach my granddaughter to sew.

I have been using my stash to make the clothes, and when I make something for her doll, I make extras, to sell to help pay for materials. Right now, its fun, but I am looking forward to making a quilt for my son for Christmas.

This site has been such inspiration, that I am ready to Blast forward again.

Thanks for all the inspiration!!!
    Old 06-05-2011, 07:00 AM

I have been making doll dresses for the 1970's Fisher Price My Friend Dolls. While I was still working I purchased several of these dolls at e-bay with the idea of making dresses for them and then giving them to a charity. Well, I just delivered my second group of 6 dolls to the Ronald McDonald House. I will try and post of pictures of them. They are so cute.
    Originally Posted by joyce888
    I use to make almost all of my daughters and my clothes. I even made a pair of Calvin Kline jeans and a suit for my husband. Also made things for the home ; window treatments and etc. I had tons of patterns, notions and every possible do-dad for sewing. But now I just make quilts; (sometimes easy window treatments or home decor) but I never can do a craft half way; again I have tons of fabric, notions, and every quilting do-dad there is. My husband calls me a fabric addict - and I think he's right I've always loved fabric.
    Old 06-05-2011, 07:00 AM

Gee, I am in awe of everyone sewing abilities!
    Not sure how much I actually sew or quilt! I do remember my first sewing experience was on an old treadle sewing machine, when I was 15. All I had was a pattern for Barbie doll clothes and just used whatever fabric I had available. It was summer and I had to entertain myself somehow. So I made Barbie doll clothes, I laugh now because I realize I didn't even have a barbie doll. My mom had passed away a yr prior, but I remember her sewing my clothes when I was young. All grown up and years flew by, I now make baby items as often as I can. Sleepers, hooded bath towels, receiving blankets, burp cloths, blankets, etc. I do my own mending, hemming etc. I do my own alterations, I like to make small craft projects when the notion hits me. Not just strickly a quilter. I think I am half seemstress and half quilter.
    Old 06-05-2011, 07:19 AM

I have sewed so many things! I have sewed clothes for my DD's and DGD. Haven't done any for DGS yet. I make my kitchen curtains, pillows, purses and tote bags, costumes, pajamas, etc. I love to sew!!!
    Old 06-05-2011, 07:30 AM

I sew everything!Dance costumes,kids clothes,wedding dress,ball gowns,table clothes,curtains, alterations embroidery on everything and the list goes on!!
    Old 06-05-2011, 07:36 AM

I received an email yesterday from

www.VogueFabricsStore.com and

www.MyVogueFabrics.com stating

Huge Sale!!! June 11-19!!!

You may want to check it out.

==================================

I couldn't get a connection yesterday so you may have to wait until the 11th.
    Old 06-05-2011, 07:52 AM

I do.
    If it can be sewn, I do it.
    I have had a sewing machine since
    I was ten.
    J J
    Old 06-05-2011, 08:08 AM

Here are some of the clothes that I made for the Fisher Price My Friend dolls for Ronald McDonald House
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-206996.jpe   attachment-206997.jpe   attachment-206998.jpe  
    Old 06-05-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry
    Here are some of the clothes that I made for the Fisher Price My Friend dolls for Ronald McDonald House
    How sweet! You have made some children very happy!
    Old 06-05-2011, 08:32 AM

Cute doll clothes! The kids will enjoy them.