Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's discuss making quilt blocks for our board names. >

Let's discuss making quilt blocks for our board names.

Let's discuss making quilt blocks for our board names.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:56 AM

A worthy weekend project! Im in!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:02 AM

Well, what the heck would I do for Noiseynana???hehehe
Old 09-09-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by dublb
A few weeks ago there was a thread about how we picked our board names. On that thread some of us talked about making quilt blocks that represent our "names." I thought I'd start this thread to talk about it!
Lets talk!
Well, since I am the grandmother of 6, that is what my name is. I don't enjoy doing applique except on the embroidery machine so I would have to incorporate that into my block somehow. And my Gkids associate the embroidery machine with me; they all learned to use it on my knee.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
Oh dear. Since I am Stitchnripper, maybe my block should be half stitched and half ripped?
or you can get half ripped and then make the block :)
I'll help with the getting ripped part :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 09-09-2011, 05:08 AM

Mine would be a butterfly. Motyl means butterfly in Ukrainian. I haven't decided more than that as of yet. Too many irons in the fire right now LOL
Old 09-09-2011, 05:12 AM

Hmmm, I'd love to make mine but......oh, the UFOs are calling.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
i used a clip art of a quilt block for my avitar so if i had to make a block to go with my name i would use that. It is the worlds fair puzzle block
Your avatar caught my eye even before I read your message! Love that block especially in those colors!!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
The discussion about making a name block and quilt begins on page 37/38 http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-142025-37.htm of the original thread. We should focus on what we want to do, and how we could best do it.
• Do we want to make our individual blocks and simply post a picture of it?
• Do we want to determine a standard size, make our blocks and send them to a collector who will then assemble them into a quilt(s)?
• If a quilt is made . . .
- who pays for the batting and backing?
- would someone volunteer to do the quilting?
- would someone like to donate the supplies?
- would we each send in, say, $5.00 with our block to cover the above expenses?
• If a quilt is made, what will become of it?
- could we, as individuals, pay to have it displayed at our local shows? (That would include shipping and handling, insurance and show fee)
- would we want to auction it and give the money to the QB?

I think we have the potential to make history, or at least a magazine article. Perhaps our quilts would end up in the museum in Paducah. Who knows at this point?

Feed some ideas related to the project as a whole. We can also bounce ideas pertaining to our individual blocks. I'm thinking big. I'd like to see the blocks made into a quilt.

Many states have had the counties or parishes provide a block representing that county/parish, the blocks were assembled into a quilt, and hang in prominent places around the states. We can do this!

If your screen name is nondescript, I think it would be fine to make your own little name crest to paint, print, embroider or applique onto your block. My opinion - what say ye others?
I don't mind making a block and then posting a pic of it. But as far as going any further with it, this becomes my busy part of the year, between prepping gardens for winter and starting on Christmas gifts, I will be too busy to do any more than that. I will be interested in what others think.

Originally Posted by olebat
The discussion about making a name block and quilt begins on page 37/38 http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-142025-37.htm of the original thread. We should focus on what we want to do, and how we could best do it.
• Do we want to make our individual blocks and simply post a picture of it?
• Do we want to determine a standard size, make our blocks and send them to a collector who will then assemble them into a quilt(s)?
• If a quilt is made . . .
- who pays for the batting and backing?
- would someone volunteer to do the quilting?
- would someone like to donate the supplies?
- would we each send in, say, $5.00 with our block to cover the above expenses?
• If a quilt is made, what will become of it?
- could we, as individuals, pay to have it displayed at our local shows? (That would include shipping and handling, insurance and show fee)
- would we want to auction it and give the money to the QB?

I think we have the potential to make history, or at least a magazine article. Perhaps our quilts would end up in the museum in Paducah. Who knows at this point?

Feed some ideas related to the project as a whole. We can also bounce ideas pertaining to our individual blocks. I'm thinking big. I'd like to see the blocks made into a quilt.

Many states have had the counties or parishes provide a block representing that county/parish, the blocks were assembled into a quilt, and hang in prominent places around the states. We can do this!

If your screen name is nondescript, I think it would be fine to make your own little name crest to paint, print, embroider or applique onto your block. My opinion - what say ye others?
I don't mind making a block and then posting a pic of it. But as far as going any further with it, this becomes my busy part of the year, between prepping gardens for winter and starting on Christmas gifts, I will be too busy to do any more than that. I will be interested in what others think.

Sorry, double post. This computer drives me nuts sometimes.