Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
serger? >

serger?

serger?

Old 10-02-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Babylock has sergers that are very easy to thread - I have the Imagine and love it!
Me too and I love it!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by winia
What do you use your serger for? I have one and would love to use it other than every now and then, but I don't
know what to use it for that I can't use a regular sewing
machine to make.
I use my serger for binding edges and seam finishes. Makes it look so much nicer than zigzagging the edges and it's quicker, too. I shorten many items for people at work and this makes my job much easier. Not to mention that people are impressed that I can make seams that look like store bought clothing. :-D

Mine is a Babylock that I got when my Singer died (so old that the repairman couldn't get a reverse screw for it). It was on sale for 1/2 price. :-)
Old 10-02-2011, 06:38 PM

Babylock Imagine I love mine.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Dee

I have a Simplicity and just got a Brother Not expensive and easy to thread. Love it.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzy Bee
me too,,,,and love it....
Originally Posted by lovelyl
Babylock has sergers that are very easy to thread - I have the Imagine and love it!
Me too. I wouldn't have one that was difficult to thread.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:29 PM

Babylock...definately. mine is 20 years old, love it still. Help me make my only daughters wedding dress, and bought me pleasure and joy...GO for one. you will have NO regrets.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:34 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cyn
I barely use mine :(
Me either. Good for knits if you use them.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by rusty quilter
Not really sure what a serger is good for that a sewing machine can't do??
Finish edges
Old 10-03-2011, 01:08 AM

I would love to see a picture of your seger edging on a quilt. I have been debating on getting a serger. If I do I will take lessons. I really wish there were more places that have lessons not many in my area.
Originally Posted by TanyaL
I bought the Babylock Imagine in August and I haven't stopped using it since. I made several clothes for my GD and now I am making placemats and napkins for Christmas gifts. Some are quilted and edged with the serger, some are machine embroidered and edged with the serger and some are just reversible and edged with the serger. I love the edging the serger does so much more than the binding that I had to do before I bought the serger. It looks so much more professional. Having the serger to sew clothes with cut the sewing time by about 3/4! I'm also making some silk scarves for the young women on my gift list. Very simple. 2 yds of silk for $30 will make 3 scarves and I can put a rolled hem on them in minutes. Very pretty and inexpensive gifts and so much easier than using my rolled hem attachment on my sewing machine. I had heard remarkable things about what the differential feed would do on the serger and now I can say that it is all true. I wouldn't want to try to sew anything at all with out doing all I could on the serger. It's like the difference between cleaning your carpet with a broom or a vacuum! If you've always used a broom then you don't understand the difference a vacuum will make. The same is true about sewing with a good serger.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 AM

I agree...I have this machine too....I have made quilts with it as well as some of the things listed below. You won't know until you have one and actually use it.

Originally Posted by TanyaL
I bought the Babylock Imagine in August and I haven't stopped using it since. I made several clothes for my GD and now I am making placemats and napkins for Christmas gifts. Some are quilted and edged with the serger, some are machine embroidered and edged with the serger and some are just reversible and edged with the serger. I love the edging the serger does so much more than the binding that I had to do before I bought the serger. It looks so much more professional. Having the serger to sew clothes with cut the sewing time by about 3/4! I'm also making some silk scarves for the young women on my gift list. Very simple. 2 yds of silk for $30 will make 3 scarves and I can put a rolled hem on them in minutes. Very pretty and inexpensive gifts and so much easier than using my rolled hem attachment on my sewing machine. I had heard remarkable things about what the differential feed would do on the serger and now I can say that it is all true. I wouldn't want to try to sew anything at all with out doing all I could on the serger. It's like the difference between cleaning your carpet with a broom or a vacuum! If you've always used a broom then you don't understand the difference a vacuum will make. The same is true about sewing with a good serger.