Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charms vs Layer Cakes vs Jelly Rolls vs Fat Quarters.... >

Charms vs Layer Cakes vs Jelly Rolls vs Fat Quarters....

Charms vs Layer Cakes vs Jelly Rolls vs Fat Quarters....

Old 01-13-2012, 10:47 PM

I have only bought two jelly rolls and both were not cut very straight. I haven't bought one since, I could cut crooked strips. Layer cakes and charms are a great idea when it ome to coordinating fabric, but there are always designs I don't care for.

If I like a fabric, I buy at least a yard and if I love it, I buy lots. The most yardage that I bought was 13, I bought what was left on the bolt. I fell in love with Michael Miller's Fairy Frost line and bought a yard from almost every color.

If your stash building, buy yardage. Another great way to build a stash is to buy extra yardage when buying for a project.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:16 PM

I stay away from jelly rolls and fat quarters because there is never enough there to make use of. Also I like to pick my own coordinating fabrics-I don't want someone doing that for me that is most of the fun in making the quilt. I like to design a quilt on Electric Quilt 7 which gives you the yardages needed for the project and shop from there. Sometimes the colors I orginally chose will change, but that is no big deal. My advice to you is go in with a mental picture or pattern of what you what to make and shop accordingly. Also, allow yourself a little extra fabric in case you make a mistake sewing or cutting.