Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is the general public really that ignorant? >

Is the general public really that ignorant?

Is the general public really that ignorant?

Old 08-31-2013, 05:17 AM

Yep...I'm thinking he got his 75.00 quote from the isles of Walmart!!
Old 08-31-2013, 05:25 AM

Actually, I think $190 was too low! Good luck to him and his $75 " quilts" - don't give him another thought!!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I think to some people, quilts are like afghans, there is always a little grandma somewhere who would be happy to make you one. lol.
I'm that little grandma somewhere who would be happy to make an afghan.....NOT! I give a quote for my afghans and never see the person again. I will make one out of love for a relative. THose can be expensive to make too and take much more time than a quilt. I know. I do both. Tell the man to go to Cracker Barrel's gift shop. They have exquisite quilts there.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:47 AM

And to answer your other question, was your quote too high? IMHO, absolutely not! The reason K-Mart and the like can sell them so cheap is because obviously the materials are not good quality, but mostly because the poor folks who make them are GROSSLY underpaid. This man is asking you for CUSTOM work. Custom is never cheap.[/QUOTE]

Scraplady I think you have just spoken the magic words "Custom Made". Even the difference between "Hand made & Home made" can effect the way people think of our work.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:13 AM

I love the look of SHOCK on their faces when you tell them the fabric alone is $75. + thread + time.
Then they say they can buy one for less.
I say OK go ahead and see how long a China, Shri Lanka, Indonesian lasts.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:14 AM

For anyone who gets asked to make a quilt, but does not sew for money:

I have been asked to make a few things, all with a basenji theme, and don't want to tell them no, because I DO like making them, but I do tell them, I do not sew for money
What I do, is tell them that they may have the item when x amount of dollars is donated to BRAT (basenji rescue and transport) I tell them that with their donation, they must include a note that says that it's ok fir BRAT to tell me, when I ask, that they have done so. The cost of the materials, plus shipping, is my donation
It has worked well for the few things I have done.
Sure, the person may change their mind after the item is made, and though it hasn't happened yet, I'd probably just post it with the same offer, and hope someone else would want it.

I intend to use the same 'charity' (it does have that status with the government)but anyone could designate any charity they chose
Old 08-31-2013, 07:31 AM

I have given estimates for custom stained glass pieces and have been told that I was out of my mind, they could get something similar at the craft store for $25. I just wrote back that then that's what they should do and thank you for thinking of me. I will not do custom quilts for the same reason. Just smile, nod and go on your way! :^)
Old 08-31-2013, 08:14 AM

Oh goodness, listen: I don't think people are ignorant of the fact or naïve, in fact they are tricky lol. I remember at one craft show, I was painting at the time. I had this lovely wood cut cat all painted and varnished and priced. Well this lady was very indignant and said how come you are charging X amount for the same cat that another lady had painted for half of your price and she wanted to purchase mine for the price of the other lady's. The cat in question was in a pattern book so anybody could paint it.

At the time I had a lot of customers in my booth and they were buying my stuff. I told her very nicely to go and purchase that other one because my price wasn't changing. She went off in a huff. Later on that day I went and looked at the other cat. OMG, it looked like a 5 year old had painted it. So there is the difference, you get what you pay for and they know it. How come this lady wanted my cat instead of the cheaper one? She saw the difference. My cat sold for my price later on.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I would have laughed and said you sure got a bargain price but not from me. He may have not gotten that price, just wanted to see if you'd come down to meet it. I've had people say but so and so makes quilts for $xx. I say then get Mrs. So and So to make yours, I won't. As far as general public being so ignorant? Yes and getting more so.

Boy are you right about that, older I get stupider I see general public getting, and what they teach kids in school I would have to home school if I had kids.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:44 AM

your price was more than fair. If he didn't like it, then let him go elsewhere. I think you didn't charge enough!