Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Square in square QAYG for my daughter >

Square in square QAYG for my daughter

Square in square QAYG for my daughter

Old 08-10-2013, 06:50 AM

Very sweet quilt; she will treasure that in years to come.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:27 AM

It's a very pretty quilt. It looks good without joining strips. I would love to do one but hand sewing the back strips isn't an option for me any more. I don't hand sew anything now.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:30 AM

Many of us are waiting for you to explain how you put those rows as QAYG. I have done some methods but never really satisfied to use the method all the time. Understand that a row at least would eliminate some of the edge work.
Can't pay you for the explanation even a simple tutorial -- but would sure send a big :Thank You and even a hug.
Great quilt !!!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:31 AM

Many of us are waiting for you to explain how you put those rows as QAYG. I have done some methods but never really satisfied to use the method all the time. Understand that a row at least would eliminate some of the edge work.
Can't pay you for the explanation even a simple tutorial -- but would sure send a big :Thank You and even a hug.
Great quilt !!!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:39 AM

Such a pretty quilt.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:48 AM

I love this quilt, so simple but yet so creative. The colors are very nice too. This will definitely be on my "TO DO" list. I also love the quilting too. Sometimes we can do too much and it takes away from the quilt itself. What size did this quilt come out to be?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:06 AM

I googled "quilt as you go in rows." Didn't watch the videos...yet
Old 08-10-2013, 08:57 AM

To assemble this quilt, I made the blocks, then sewed a row of blocks together. The block was 8.5 inches square, so I cut the backing 9.5 inches wide by the length of the row of blocks. For the batting, I cut it 9.25 inches wide by the length of the row. I then assembled the sandwich for the row. I laid down the backing, put glue on it but made sure to leave a 2 inch strip free of glue along each length (if you glue right to the edge, you can't iron the backing down to finish the back and have to wet the backing to loosen the glue to separate it), then centered the batting on it. Flip the sandwich over and press it from the backing side smoothing out any puckers, the flip back over. When I glued down the quilt front, I placed the glue on the back of the front where I'm going to stitch (prevents puckering for me). It is very important to not place any glue between the edge and 1 inch in. If you do, you'll have to wet the fabric and separate it so you can sew the strips together. Press the front making sure to smoothe out any wrinkles and puckers. Quilt as desired but make sure you leave 1 inch between the edge of the front and any quilt lines - it makes it really hard to join the rows if stitching is closer than 1 inch from the edge. Repeat this process for a second row.

Now to join the completed rows, I'll show pictures to explain better. The pictures are from another QAYG quilt where I had a different back for each square.

1. Join the fronts of each sandwich together and pin so the corners and edges match up. This also prevents the sandwich from slipping. Sew sandwiches together.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]429484[/ATTACH]

2. Remove pins and press seam desired direction or press it open. I use a small iron I purchased at JoAnn's.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]429485[/ATTACH]

3. Fold the batting edges one over the other. Trim the bottom layer by cutting along the edge of the top layer. This will make the edges of the batting butt up against each other.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]429486[/ATTACH]

4. Join batting together using Heat Set Batting Together.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]429487[/ATTACH]

5. Turn one row of backing down and press. At this point, I like to put some glue along the edge to keep the sandwich together. Press well. I then figure out the half way point between the quilting lines on one row to the quilting lines on the second row, and draw a line.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]429488[/ATTACH]

6. Fold the other edge of backing down to the line and press well. Glue baste the edge down.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]429489[/ATTACH]

From this point, I hand sew the edge down. It takes a while, but there is no guarantee to perfectly catch the edge on the back if you SID from the front using a machine.

I hope that explains my method clearly. Please ask questions, if you need clarification on any step. I really like doing QAYG because the quilt is basically done when the rows are together. Also, I don't risk puckering or wrinkling of the backing. If you glue baste, make sure you use washable school glue. I heat press all the glue, so it is dry when I sew very it.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

image.jpg  
Old 08-10-2013, 09:02 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...n-t224172.html

This is the link to the quilt I made where the pictures from the above tutorial come from. The quilt in this link was made with each square having a different backing. The method of assembly was the same, but had to be done for each block, then assembled for each row. It took a lot longer and involved a lot more hand sewing. I like doing it in rows better.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:38 AM

Beautiful quilt! Thanks for the tute. In the past I haven't done too good with QAYG, but think I might do better since reading your tutorial.