Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To pre-wash or not? >

To pre-wash or not?

To pre-wash or not?

Old 04-24-2014, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I should have known it wouldn't work, or else everybody would be doing it! Thanks for the info.

Oh goodness...we have 3 dogs and 2 cats and they're always slumped on our laps. Our quilts are washed very frequently; some of the lap quilts in the living room get washed at LEAST every other week, if not weekly. Bed quilts get washed less often (animals aren't allowed up on the bed) but at least 2x per year.

I got some great evidence as to why prewashing is a good idea recently and it made me think of this thread... DH & I were buying a whole lot of yardage to make a bunch of new curtains and when they unrolled the fabric TWO SILVERFISH came darting out. Ugh!!! Seeing that made me grateful my quilting stash is all pre-washed, otherwise my imagination would have me thinking it's all crawling with bugs and bug poop. Yuuuck! The fabric we bought isn't washable (groan) so it's sealed up in a plastic bag with some cedar sachets right now "just in case" we missed any creepy crawlies. Once the curtains are made I will probably have them dry cleaned because even though I can't see it or smell it I'm sure there's bug poop in there.
If you are that worried about the silverfish, keep them bagged for 2 months and sprinkle salt all over the fabric while it sits. The salt draws out the moisture and it will kill silverfish. We don't have them often where i live unless it rains a lot but they sure do creep me out.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:34 PM

I dont prewash anymore, did years ago. Now with color catchers, it is wonderful. My stuff, so I can take
the risk.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:51 PM

WHEN I have taken classes they don't prewash when they make up the kits and the 5x5's so you can quess I do not pre wash
Old 04-25-2014, 06:02 PM

But I don't iron the fabric until I am ready to use it. I just want clean fabric with no chemicals in it. I had put some unwashed fabric in with a storage tote of washed fabric. A few month later I went to take the fabric out and ALL of my fabric in that tote smelled to high heaven. I had to go and wash everything in that tote. Now think for a moment, if the chemicals had leached from the unwashed fabric so much that it made all the fabrics in the tote smell from chemicals, imagine what a LOT of unwashed fabric would smell like in a closed room. If you don't suffer from allergies, that' great. Buy why would you want to smell the chemicals that they spray on fabric to keep bugs off? But that's is your choice, it's a free country and we can all do what we want. Wonderful, isn't it?
Old 04-25-2014, 06:14 PM

Why risk heartbreak? A little prewashing seems a small price to pay for piece of mind. Ironing and starching makes it crisp enough for me.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:15 PM

Great idea. I never would have thought to use the rack!

Last edited by zozee; 04-25-2014 at 06:16 PM. Reason: put in wrong place