Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend 1/29-1/31/16 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend 1/29-1/31/16

Virtual Quilting Weekend 1/29-1/31/16

Old 01-30-2016, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

One of my grandsons turned 1 year old and we had a brunch for him at my house. I did manage to sew some more blocks together for the Patriotic Cal King quilt and I also pieced the back for this large quilt. I wanted to start on the chicks (Farm Girl Vintage by Lori Holt) but I want to be sure I use the right yellows that my dauhgter would like and she is at a home warming party so i will wait till she is back. I am helping her make a king size version of the Farm girl Vintage sampler quilt but made with 12 inch blocks.

I am enjoying seeing all the different projects people are working on. Everything is great. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the progress by the end of this mini virtual retreat.

Quiltngolfer quote- I have joined you this time. I haven't worked on quilts since last March when my husband died. I have missed it. I started a new block of the month yesterday, and finished January and February blocks. Today I cut pieces for another block of the month that my son gave me for Christmas. I have tha December and January blocks here. My goal is to finish them by Monday. He called to say the February block is on its way, so I need to hurry and catch up. It is fun getting the block in the mail each month. It's like Christmas all through the year. I will give him the quilt when it's complete. The other BOM is from my local quilt shop. I will post some pictures later.- end quote

I am glad you are joining us. I am saddened to hear that your husband passed away last March. )))Hugs and prayers(((( Your son sounds like a sweetie.

BOM sound like fun. What are the blocks like, piecing or applique, and is there a theme or certain fabrics you use?
Old 01-30-2016, 08:44 PM

Wow! Members have certainly been busy sewing today.

I serged some burp cloths, diaper pads, and receiving blankets for a charity. I need to tuck the thread ends in yet.

I also worked on an inner border for my son and his fiance's wedding quilt. The top and bottom borders are sewn on. The center is just a folded piece of material and is pinned in the middle as I am auditioning colors. I made 4 more of the 365 Day Challenge blocks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541573[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]541574[/ATTACH]

tropit: A taggie blanket is a small piece of fabric and backing with ribbons sewn in the seams. I used fleece for the front and back. It is a sensory/tactile gift.

Connie
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 01-30-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:45 PM

tropit, your log cabin looks perfect for your sea side friend. I live in the mountains & I really like the colors.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:23 AM

Well I went shopping and purchased fabric for fold and stitch wreath.Read pattern and decided I like you fabrics. Now off to Church then will come home and cut out and make a start. I plan on doing one first then chain piecing after.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:53 AM

love your pansy usage ;-)
Old 01-31-2016, 04:57 AM

sweet fabric choices for your blocks.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:00 AM

glad you checked VQW out. I'm always interested to see what you are working on.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
tropit: A taggie blanket is a small piece of fabric and backing with ribbons sewn in the seams. I used fleece for the front and back. It is a sensory/tactile gift.

Connie
Ahh...I just googled "taggy blanket" and now I see. I don't have any grandkids yet, although my son is getting married in Oct. and they plan to start a family right away. So, I'd better be up on these things. Do you put batting in the center? Is it quilted?

Like your quilt btw.

~ Cindy
Old 01-31-2016, 07:43 AM

Taggies are pretty easy to make. You can also take any kind of heavy food plastic (like cereal is in, inside the box) and sandwich that inside a taggie before you turn it. It becomes a crinkle sound maker. When I made my taggie I used washable school glue to glue the ribbons in place, sandwiched the plastic, sewed all around with a 2" opening and turned it. The baby's mommy thought it was pretty cool. And, I washed it before giving it so it was ready for use.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
Taggies are pretty easy to make. You can also take any kind of heavy food plastic (like cereal is in, inside the box) and sandwich that inside a taggie before you turn it. It becomes a crinkle sound maker. When I made my taggie I used washable school glue to glue the ribbons in place, sandwiched the plastic, sewed all around with a 2" opening and turned it. The baby's mommy thought it was pretty cool. And, I washed it before giving it so it was ready for use.
Oh...I like the crunch idea.

I've now made 32 of the asterisk blocks. I'm trying to streamline making them and I MIGHT be going a little faster. At least it's a change of pace. They're kinda boring to make. I haven't decided whether I'm going to put a piano key border on the log cabin quilt yet. Maybe if I just do a fun backing on it, that would bring it up to par.

~ Cindy