Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Men Quilting >

Men Quilting

Men Quilting

Old 08-27-2007, 08:52 AM

Steve, this is probably one of the few places where you can be you among a bunch of women who do not care what is between your legs, as you say. We are glad to have you. I am interested in male quilters because they usually do have a different color sense and seem to be more bold with their quilting choices. Women are usually taught from a young age the "rules" of sewing, color matching, and construction, so they are confined, so to speak, when they are designing a quilt. It takes a long time for those of us who were taught that way to break out of the confines of our discipline and just do it. Most men, on the other hand, do not have that to cope with from the beginning. They are more spontaneous. That is why men quilters fascinate me.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:16 AM
lin

I don't give you kudos because you're a guy. I've given them because you're good! My first attempts at quilting were nowhere near as good as what I've seen come out of you and a few of the other beginners who have been willing to show their "firsts". :)

We have one man in our larger quild who has been quilting for quite awhile. He's extremely talented. And I think you bring up a good point Norah. Most (certainly not all) of the quilts I've seen men do somehow do have a little bit of a different twist to them. I don't know why that is, but it is interesting.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:28 AM

Interesting because I've only seen a couple of quilts made by men and I thought they were interesting, but not nearly so as some of the ones I've seen done by women. Could it be because women dominate the genre and they have made more quilts?

There is an exception that floored me, Albert Small:

http://www.quiltindex.org/basicdisplay.php?pbd=illinoistest-a0a0b6-a

http://www.quiltindex.org/basicdisplay.php?pbd=illinoistest-a0a1e9-a

http://www.quiltindex.org/basicdisplay.php?pbd=illinoistest-a0a1f0-a

Then too it could be the mosaic quilt pattern that floored me, and really not anything to do with the fact that a man produced them

I keep being told that men find intereting color combinations, but after seening the work of Jenny Beyer, I'm inclined not to think that is really true so much about men as it is about individuals.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:03 PM

Ricky Timms is your man. He has a great quilt pattern he designed. Its called convergence quilt. His other love is music and he has a CD, I think country music. when he appears at quilt shows he also sings.......a twofer.
Google the man, :wink: he is a true artist.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:15 PM

Its just rickytims.com
Old 08-28-2007, 08:10 AM

Well two Okies and guys into music and quilting, I'll be darned.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:56 PM

When this thread first started I wrote about my 13-yr old grandson who enjoyed quilting. At 13 (almost 14) I guess he's a "young man". This picture is a quilt he made me for my birthday. He said it was called Minnesota Chain. He's been quilting for a couple of years. He started by going to Joann's (he lives in Ohio) where they had week long quilting camps for kids. He loved it. Last fall when I was visiting him I helped him with one block of this quilt. He then put it aside because he was involved with other things at the time. Three weeks before coming to MA for my birthday he told his mother he was going to finish the quilt for my birthday. He worked non-stop on it .... driving his mother crazy and leaving a mess everywhere! He was hemming the binding on in the car as they drove from Ohio. The quilt is made from fat quarters. Needless to say I was speechless when I opened it! I have it draped over a chair in the living room where everyone who comes in can see it. While he was here I showed him how to paper piece. He took to that right away! So I sent him home with some patterns and more fabric.

Quilt made by my 13 (almost 14) grandson for my birthday
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2342[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-2342.jpe  
Old 08-28-2007, 01:01 PM

Really amazing, he is already better than me. I hope he is taking some art classes at school.........a natural talent :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Old 08-28-2007, 02:58 PM

JudyJo, has Steve been hanging around with your grandson? That would explain how Steve got so good so fast? Seriously, he is a young, very talented artist.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:31 PM

Steve - Here are a few of the men quilters that I know of:
Don Beld - all hand piecing & hand quilting, specializing in Civil War era quilts. He's a wonderful speaker (and soon to be on the board of the So. Calif. Council of Quilt Guilds)
Joe Cunningham - hand quilter - has a very simple, basic quilt frame design that he uses (& sells too, I think)
Ike Winner, the "quilting cowboy" - machine quilter, often at shows demo-ing long arm quilting
John Flynn - machine quilter, designer of the Flynn Quilt Frame
Ricky Tims - Caveman Quilting, Rhapsody & Harmonic Convergence quilts, as well as being a composer & musician. I would say his music is more classical than country - he plays "Greensleeves" & "Oh Danny Boy" on the CD I have, :wink: and he writes some very cool stuff.