Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Virtual quilting weekend 10/3-10/6 >
  • Virtual quilting weekend 10/3-10/6

• Virtual quilting weekend 10/3-10/6

Old 10-07-2019, 07:04 PM
    Power Poster

Those are beautiful, quilting shortimer.
    Old 10-08-2019, 06:59 AM

Simply just gorgeous quilting shortimer, loving the colors. On the final day of VQW, I did get a chance to stop in the quilt shop and I made some small purchases. I have plans for a red Irish chain top and may start on it sooner than I plan.

Thanks for hosting another great VQW, happy sew-day everyone

cherryb
    Old 10-10-2019, 03:38 PM

I really like this. It has so many different colors and prints but the confetti backround helps me focus. I kinda have to focus or I get the dizzies, especially on patterns that go every which way. I thought I like d this one best...continued below
    Originally Posted by Iceblossom
    So here's the Confetti quilt as laid out. I just have to attach the horizontal sashing to the rows and then put the rows together, there will be no border other than the sashing.

I was motivated for this project in a couple ways, one was I was wanting a quick and easy pattern. Two is I was given a box of precut squares in various sizes. Three was this thread here:
    How to Do ... ?

The inspiration quilt was made with 5" charms, I used 6.5" charms for the focus fabrics. It's funny how when you add a 2" border you get a 10" and not an 8" block -- it starts getting big fast! I started with 30 blocks but needed an additional row to make it a better twin size.

The juvenile novelty focus fabrics are 6.5" raw. I cut the confetti fabric at 2.5", it required ~2.5 yards, I made some cutting errors/my fabric was a tad narrow but I'd say it's closer to 2.25 yards. The sashing squares varied in length from 6-6.5", I cut them all 3" wide x length. In my project I used 35 focus fabrics set 5x7, it should measure 68x94". If you are doing the sashing by squares, you need roughly 100 squares of fabric for the sashing (mine was 98) plus the 35 focus squares.

I don't think that the seams in the sashing sides are random shows up well which is something I wanted. If I did it again, I'd take some of the 4" squares out of the box and cut them 3" and incorporated them into the sashing. For the most part there is only about 1/2" out of center difference.

Edit: I got a bit carried away for a bit when I decided to add the extra row. I knew I didn't have enough juvenile fabrics in the box and that I would have to cut up a bunch out of my stash. Then I calmed down and reminded myself that while yes, this is a juvenile novelty quilt, it is also a quilt from that box of precut squares so I went back in and got out a bunch of bright "adult" prints and quit stressing. Sometimes it's not about the perfect fabric but using the fabric you have.
    Old 10-10-2019, 03:41 PM

I thought I liked 'Confetti" best until I saw the blue border. My husband would love this quilt as he likes all scrappy.The more I look at it the more I do too.
    Originally Posted by Iceblossom
    From that same box of pre-cut squares, I went in and pulled out all the metallic embellished options which included a number of Asian themed squares, but if it is shiny, it is going into this quilt regardless of theme. Gold, silver, foil, lots or little, glitter, it all goes into the mix. I have a bunch of swapping squares from my Y2K era swapping days to use up as well. I will be making a very modern quilt and will use Asian metallics in that one, so am going to go ahead and use up the others in this one.

My name for the project is "Scrap Metal". For me that's pretty funny.

Here's the inspiration for that one, 2nd picture, first post.
    my quilting this summer

I will be setting it on point like that, probably end with sashing after the triangle fill ins, love the look of that. I think I have enough of the dark picture (which does have metallic) for the sashing and hopefully final border. It will be narrow, 2". I'd like to cut the long pieces of sashing going along the vertical line in the design, and then cut the side pieces horizontally, it should make a diagonal flow across the entire top and make the seam lines disappear. My blocks will finish at 7".

This is what they look like so far, the light ones are so light there is no just hiding them so I'll end up putting them together as squares like I'm showing in the picture here. These 32 blocks came from the box of scraps. I have many of the same fabrics in my own collection! I need to draft it up in EQ but I think I need to make another 30 or so blocks and have plenty of fabric.